The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: "Done With Mirrors" Mirror Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I just picked up this wicked little packet trick called "Done With Mirrors". The basic effect is that you show four cards and as you count through them, a different card turns over each pass. Then you show that one of the cards has a mirror backing. Then you proceed to show that all the cards have a mirror backing and front.

Here's the thing, the gimmicked cards I bought are of extremely poor construction. Making my own would be a snap but I need to know where I could find this sticky-backed mirror-like paper that is put on them.

Anyone familiar with this effect or know where I could find the materials I'm looking for?

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Reis

Although I haven't looked for it for a few years, there used to be a mirror-like Contact paper. Perhaps you could do a web search for Contact paper and see if its still made.

Be magic ~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Ahhh... good call, Fredrick! I'll try that!

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I've seen the mirror contact paper at places like Checker Auto and Autozone. It's in the decal and detailing section.

Also, I've seen it in craft/hobby places like Michael's.

These would be my first two stops if I were looking for mirror paper.

Ron
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I would not recommend mirror papar at all. It is not made to be shuffled and cut and slid over itself. Consider buying a foot or two of "Mylar" at a plastics shop.

I used a four foot sheet of it for a mirror that Alice (in wonderland) put her hand through on stage. I had not planned on amking it a magic effect, but the audience sure took it for one. Mylar looks and acts just like a mirror and it can be glued down easily with a contact cement or epoxy.

Just something to think about.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I bought a whole bunch of it a long time ago for no reason at all except that it might come in handy with magic. I've used it for that trick and some other stuff. I can't rememver where I got it though. It might have been at a plastics shop. I would check to see if you have a plastics store near you.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Reis,
Ya know what stinks...I created this effect 14 years ago! Sold it in my magic shop and it was a hot seller. Guess ya gotta be quicker on the draw to hit the market.
The solution: Contact a Sign Supply company and ask for Chrome Mylar Sign Vinyl. You can get quite a bit for about $15 and have enough to not worry about the scratching problem as it is rather disposable effect for the cost anyways. You can whip up a bunch of them in less than an hour.
Good luck,
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
Another place to try is hobby shops which cater to rc airplane enthusiasts. They have many colors of mylar in small sections. I found mirrored sticky back mylar there in the past.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
These are all great leads, gang! Much appreciated!

I think the mylar sounds like a great idea. Much shinier and more durable.

This a cool effect and I can think of several other applications using this method.

Thanks again everyone!

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8816 Posts

Profile of harris
I first saw/read a version of this in Fork full of appetizers book.

There have been many variations over the years such as aliens, eye charts.

It has many versions. The mirror on both sides of the 4 cards sounds great.

Be safe and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I found mirror fablon in my local hardware store, I picked it up months ago not quite sure what I was going to do with it. I still amn't.