The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: Regarding an unusual mentalism/mental magic prop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
robb_randall
View Profile
New user
surprise, arizona
23 Posts

Profile of robb_randall
Greetings, all!

Another "what the heck is it" question: I have a mentalism/mental magic prop in my possession about which I am quite curious. It is a small (about 1 1/2 inch diameter by 1/4 inch thick) glass disc. The disc is lightly etched on each side with a playing card. The etching is so light, in fact, that it is invisible to the naked eye until "fog" is applied to the glass disc (a'la a steamy breath or mist rising from a hot beverage.) My question - What is the name of this prop? Is it still being made? Where can I find routining/handling information regarding this unique (at least from my limited perspective) prop?

Thanks in advance for your helpful insight!

Robb Randall
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
There should be a card index on one side, and another on the reverse side. I found a good use for these (I actually have about 5 of 'em)...if you'd like to discuss it further, I'd rather do it in an email to: stevethomasmagic@aol.com.

I also have the same device in a pair of "grandfather's glasses"...with cards on each lens. VERY old piece, too. This one's probably from the 1950's. I don't use it, though.

Steve Thomas
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I bought one new in the mid 1990s. It was sold under the name "ghost glass." I even remember seeing ads for the fluid so you could do your own etching on any glass.

I don't remember a patter, but it lends itself to the mystical. As a gospel magician I used the theme of the breath of life being breathed into Adam, or the word spirit and wind being the same in greek.

You could go a bizarre magic route, and use that as well - wind/spirit are the same word in ancient Greek. Your breath is like your spirit, and it seeks out the hidden truth, revealing your card on the glass.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe there are called breath crystals.. I think Viking still makes and sells them.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Viking still sells the liquid for making your own "impromptu" version of this. You would use it on a glass secretly in a restaurant (don't do it on very fine crystal) or even in the bottom of a glass ashtray.

Steve Thomas
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
The first time I saw one of these I thought that it was absolutely miraculous.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I think "Ghost Glass" was the more recent mass marketed incarnation. I had one under a different name in the seventies (but it goes back further) and there have been a couple of marketed versions with ESP symbols over the years (I had a nice one from Harries Magic in Sweden.)

I recall a lovely presentation angle by Mary Tomich appearing in Magick Magazine years ago in which the disc represented a dead river gambler's monocle...

Paul.