The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Thimbles ?!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
I seem to remember that Dr Sawa had a thimble type routine using Rings in his book.

Dave
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
665 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
On 2005-01-05 18:00, wj460 wrote:
I often thought that instead of thimbles, which are not very manly, that I would find some electrical connection caps...

Hmmmm... I hope all those master taylors are not too upset. And going back to the original subject of the topic, which is a more likely everyday object - a thimble or an electical connection cap ? Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A thimble.

Actually it doesn't matter... it is a theatrical effect prop... do people question the clubs that jugglers use?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I seem to recall someone doing a thimble routine with finger sized top hats.
Johnny Ace Palmer??
Maybe I just dreamed this!

Maybe check out those craft shops for some miniature stuff.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
No you're not dreaming. Johnny Ace Palmer did a short bit with the mini top hat, along with a small bunny using a line about "pulling a hat out of a rabbit."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Whew! Thanks DaveV. heheh
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
The top off a Toilet Duck makes a very visual "Thimble". It's also "UFO Nose Cone," Shaped. (honest.)

Andy

Oh. I'm assuming they have toilet Duck In the rest of the world, If not, It's a toilet cleaner fluid.
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Nasal spray caps.
Glue stick caps.
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
How about little kid's finger puppets? I don't know if they're still made but they were made of rubber and came in many different characters. I haven't seen them in a long time, but then my kids are grown up so I haven't been looking for little kid toys for quite some time. Anyway, I think if you could find some of these, they would be instantly recognizable to the audience and not really look like a "magic prop>" Smile
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
This might sound weird, but its something that I have been playing with.

What about the tops to your daughter's, girlfriends, or wife's lipstick container's? You could do a color changing routine talkging about how she changes lipstick color's all the time. At the end, turn and show a "kiss" mark on your cheek to close that wasn't there before.

What do you think?

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes to fingerpuppets. There are size concerns on the "heads" and some costume stuff to work out... but that about the best approach so far.

There is a horrible icky green/yello slime thing that makes a great "mr booger" Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
I just bought a set of Rainbow thimble and they are a little loose for my fingers. Does anyone have this problem and how do you fix it please?
Thanks
ken
joespc
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of joespc
My Berland wooden thimbles were too loose for my fingertips. I purchased some metal thimbles that fit just right and glued them into each of the wooden ones.

As a quicker fix, you might want to try adding pieces of masking tape to the inside of each thimble.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
My thimbles desinged to be nested on top of each other so I am afraid glueing or adding tape will prevent them from nesting together.
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Someone previously mentioned the cap on a Sharpie marker, saying that it was too narrow. I was recently in a preschool classroom for a birthday party. I was all set up, but the teacher asked me to wait a few minutes before starting. The kids were ready for the show, so I looked around and saw a wide-tip marker. I took the cap off and did a quick routine using the cap as a thimble. It worked fine. With all the colors available, you could do a good color-changing cap routine.

Also, someone used to sell a routine, with props, where a toy siren whistle jumps around on your fingers. This employed the visual effect with the sound of the siren. Sounded pretty good.

Tate
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2735 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
Also, someone used to sell a routine, with props, where a toy siren whistle jumps around on your fingers. This employed the visual effect with the sound of the siren. Sounded pretty good.

Tate

If I am not mistaken, that was Frank Herman's Wiz Whistle. I think it was marketed in the mid to late '70s.
alexoid
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of alexoid
Reviving old thread! One idea you may like as an alternative to thimbles- if you're into arts and crafts (I am!)- is to build a finger puppet using Fimo (a colourful plastic based modelling clay that is made solid in an ordinary oven) - build it over a metal thimble that fits your finger. You could make a magic assistant or rabbit or alien. By making it yourself you can build a puppet that fits your hand perfectly.