The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: Ron Fershet arrested after doing the Mona Lisa :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shimi
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
107 Posts

Profile of Shimi
Ron Fersht, an Israeli Magician, was arrested by the police for 5 hours after he did the Mona Lisa on a TV show.

The inventor, Sagiv Levi, said that Ron stole the effect and didn't have TV rights to do it. Ron said it belongs to a German magician. (So he stole from the German??) Ron said that he got the puzzle from a friend.

This was in the newspaper.

Maybe some of the Israeli magicians over here can tell us more.

Shimi
Dr.Morton
View Profile
New user
Germany
76 Posts

Profile of Dr.Morton
As far as I know, the routine belongs to a German magician (I forgot his name but would be able to find out if necessary) who showed it on TV a year or two ago and claimed to have sold the exclusive TV rights to David Copperfield (he told this live on prime time of German television).

A German producer of magical items told me that Sagiv Levi stole the idea and has marketed the routine without license. The originator has now written a letter to all known magic sellers asking that they should not buy and resell the pirated copies but instead have to wait for his version coming next year (fast as an arrow).

A lot of fuss about a not-so-original idea in the first place.
It is not enough to be without thoughts,
one should also be unable to express them.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2287 Posts

Profile of Logan
Anyone want to elaborate to me about what exactly is the 'Mona Lisa', apart from it being the name of a very famous painting? Smile

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Dr.Morton
View Profile
New user
Germany
76 Posts

Profile of Dr.Morton
The routine goes like this: The performer shows a puzzle of the Mona Lisa with one piece missing in the middle. He then lets several spectators draw a piece of remaining tiles out of a bag. To everybodys surprise he knows exactly who draws the missing one, while those of the others do not fit.

Under "Penny for your Thoughts" you will find a similar thread with further information.
It is not enough to be without thoughts,
one should also be unable to express them.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
As I mentioned in the thread over in "Penny for Your Thoughts", the dispute between Sagiv Levy and the other magician (Nicolai Freidrich?) is being arbitrated by Stan Allen, publisher of MAGIC. I'd suggest that the responsible thing to do is to hold off on discussing it until the results of that arbitration are made public (which they will be in the not too distant future, I've been led to believe).

To speculate on partial facts and allegations without knowing all of the facts from both parties is irresponsible at best, and libelous at worst.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
If everyone were arrested who allegedly pirated someone else's idea, there would be far fewer magicians around.

Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea!

Smile

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
The MONA LISA sounds supsiciously like an effect originated by mentalist Bob Dorian involving a big jigsaw puzzle of the United States, each piece being the shape of a state. Spectator selects a piece from a puzzle box & it fits in the incompletely assembled puzzle on an easel behind a cloth—-the only piece missing.

Bob did this on the old Merv Griffin show eons ago—I have a tape of it. That'll show you how long ago he had the idea.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
I second that motion from Paradox. Robert Dorian personally gave me a tape of him doing this effect on the Merv Griffin Show. That was in the year 1983. I will say it again 1983. The puzzle may be different (Dorian used a USA puzzle), otherwise same trick.

I think all of you are twenty years too late!
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
From a legal standpoint, and even on other standpoints, it is NOT LIBEL to talk about things. It is NOT LIBEL. Anyone can talk about anything as long as they do not display an intended, planned, proven intent to insult or harm or hurt someone through malicious means and a malicious intent. That is the legal definition of libel and it is very difficult to prove in court. Just talking about something—even if you get the facts wrong—is not libel and is not libelous. Free discussion of things is one of the basic rights—freedom of speech—in a democratic, free country and libel is indeed a means to curtail harmful speech, but just talking about a court case is not libel and is not libelous. Thanks.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Moreover, Matt...one could easily make the case that by sparking a public action, such as posting a notice here on this bulletin board, and claiming in public that his effect has been ripped off, that Sagiv has made himself a public figure. And the rules regarding the alleged libel/slander of a public figure are far, far different from a private citizen.

Andy, with all due respect...on this one, I think Matt's right.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
The result of the MAGIC arbitration is that the ideas might have well been developed independently (see latest magic issue LETTERS). Now for all of you who joined sides where does that leave you???

I am getting tired of the who inventend what and who did it first...
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
WolfgangWollet said, "I am getting tired of the who invented what and who did it first..."

I could not agree more. I do not care either way how this issue turns out. I am publicly stating Robert Dorian did a puzzle trick over twenty years ago, period. Moreover, I do not subscribe to the magazine.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!