The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Did you hear the latest? :: New York magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mattneufeld
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mattneufeld
There was a fair amount of press this week--the week of Aug. 26-30, on that magician in New York (I honestly forget his name) who did another version of Houdini's water trunk stunt in Times Square. Of course, he passed out and threw up--great--after he came out and was taken away in an ambulance. Wonderful family entertainment.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
You're talking about Criss Angel who performs in a show titled 'Mindfreak" on Broadway, I believe. It's at the WWF theater/arena.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Although I didn't see this event, I was told a description from someone who said that he watched it.

The media release (NEW YORK, Aug. 20 /PRNewswire/) states that Criss "will attempt to beat history's greatest escape artist at his own game", by recreating Houdini's "Water Torture Cell.

If I was told correctly, he was not even 'upside down' in it like Houdini was! I'm sorry but I don't see an element of danger whatsoever.

I would love to hear from someone who watched this performance and can give an accurate description from beginning to end. I can only hope the actual performance was better than the one that was described to me.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Hey Joe,
Another member of this board (RC4MAG) sent me some pictures he took at the event, I'll send them to you.

It looks to be handcuffs, legirons and several padlocked chains, the top appears to be locked, my guess is all gaffed but I can't tell by the shots.

Nothing against Criss as I am a fan of his metamorphsis but.......
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Thank you for the pictures x-treem. What I was told about his performance was completely different than what the pictures show.

Although he was right-side-up in the water, the top of the tank looks sealed with a padlocked lid, and he's wearing irons and cuffs. Now, did he escape in full view of the audience or was the tank covered to conceal his egress through the sealed lid?

Looks like a fun escape to perform... I just don't have the legs for it. They would blind the people watching! Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I always wear a tee-shirt on the beach, when asked why, I respond, "I think there is a law against me not wearing one."

I have no data on the escape, if it is a water torture cell, there is the standard way of escaping.

I seem to remember the padlock style being gimmicked by an English magician,Mick Hanzlik, I could be wrong on that.

Picture 2 is the best shot I have of the handcuffs, they appear to be Peerless clones. That's the best I have so far.

Oh yeah, and the nail polish appears to be black!
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.