The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Sponge balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
randybento
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of randybento
I was hoping someone could tell me a good tape for learning sponge balls.

Thanks,

Randy
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
"25 Tricks with SpongeBalls" published by Hampton Ridge, and Patrick Page's spongeball video, published by L'n L are both great places to start. There is also a great spongeball/bowl routine which is well explained on the Roberto Giobbi live video.
jbguy
View Profile
New user
Vacaville, CA
55 Posts

Profile of jbguy
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 17:46, steve proescher wrote:
"25 Tricks with SpongeBalls" published by Hampton Ridge, and Patrick Page's spongeball video, published by L'n L are both great places to start. There is also a great spongeball/bowl routine which is well explained on the Roberto Giobbi live video.

I'll second the vote for Patrick Page's Spongeball video! It was very educational for one who is still very new to magic!
~Scott~
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
186 Posts

Profile of preston91
I also have the patrick page video. It covers all the basics of sponge balls. Very good!
But, if you want to learn a really nice routine get Scott Guinn's "Great Scott it's more magic" book. Not only do you get his sponge ballroutine "Peanut, Butter, and Jelly, but another dozen or so routines as well.Most easy to learn. worth every penny!
Just PM Scott here at the cafe....

Paul
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Brad Burt also produced a video called "All About Sponge balls," and is pretty good. My retention vanish was actually developed by learning his the wrong way.

Brad likes to explain things ten-thousand times, but It's still a good tape.

--Ron
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
Quote:
On 2002-08-29 17:46, steve proescher wrote:

I will second the recomendation of "25 Tricks With Sponge Balls Video" It is great for beginners or beginners in sponge balls.

Lance R. Wilson
Smile
Well isn't that great, I'm stuck!
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
Matt W
View Profile
New user
UK
5 Posts

Profile of Matt W
I will second the recomendation of "25 Tricks With Sponge Balls Video" It is fairly easy and was one of my first sponge ball videos(actually my only) Hope I have helped.

matt
Smile
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
If you speak french, the booklet "Passez l'Eponge", by Henry Mayol, is really worth it, as a sponge ball start.
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
I agree with the recommendations for the 25 tricks tape. It is inexpensive, and teaches a good amount of material. You may also want to look at the Mark Wilson Course in Magic. He has a great routine to learn.

My personal routine is based on Eugene Burger's. It has a final load of 30 sponge balls in the spectator's hand. I also very much respect John Carney's walk-around routine from Carneycopia. It is very clear, magical, and straight to the point. However, both of these routines fall outside the beginner level, but are well worth studying after you move past the basics.

Thanks,
Richard Green

PS: Just a word of advice - you will run into some magicians (usually hardcore card guys) who will tell you that sponges are unrespectable amongst good professional magicians and that they wouldn't be caught dead with sponge balls in their posession. Ignore everything they say! Sponges are one of the most entertaining, magical, and memorable tricks you can perform. Master a good sponge ball routine and your audiences will be talking about you for years. (and that's not an exageration. I speak from personal experience) Smile
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
EsKlibur
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of EsKlibur
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 12:19, Callin wrote:
you will run into some magicians (usually hardcore card guys) who will tell you that sponges are unrespectable amongst good professional magicians and that they wouldn't be caught dead with sponge balls in their posession. Ignore everything they say! Sponges are one of the most entertaining, magical, and memorable tricks you can perform. Master a good sponge ball routine and your audiences will be talking about you for years.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Smile
"Poetry is the Magic of Lies,
Magic is the Poetry of Lies" - Jean Cocteau
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
even better than sponge balls is sponge bunnies... because you don't have to make up a metaphor for the bunnies, they're self-explanatory.. and they don't roll away.
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
I've heard great things about the value of 25 tricks with a sponge ball. it's inexpensive and gives you all the basics.

I've recently purchased the Jay Sankey "Ear Plugs" video and in half an hour I was able to performe retention vanishes and the 10 count. Change 3 ear plugs into one big one.
Also comes with 4 full routines. Easy Easy Easy but powerful and effective.

I'm a total beginner, so it was really fun and rewarding. I would assume the moves are the same for sponge balls. My next sponge ball purchase will be the 25 tricks with a sponge ball, just to make sure I haven't missed anything and for the routines.
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
Quote:
I've recently purchased the Jay Sankey "Ear Plugs" video and in half an hour I was able to performe retention vanishes and the 10 count. Change 3 ear plugs into one big one.
Also comes with 4 full routines. Easy Easy Easy but powerful and effective.

I second Earplugs for sure, I might be biased though Jay Sankey is my favorite magician.