The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Basic Juggling Patter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I was asked recently, to juggle and do some magic for about an hour at a Halloween event at an elementary school. I am basically just walking up and down a long line of people who are waiting in line to get into the event, and my job is to entertain them with a few tricks and some juggling. Now, I am a good juggler, but this will be the first time I actually juggle for an audience and I was wondering what to say as I am juggling up and down the line of people. Do I just juggle and not interact with the folks? Do I shout out, "HEY, look at me, I'm juggling!"? Are there any basic lines of patter that jugglers typically use, or are there any good resources to look into? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Well if you go along with the style of patter that most magicians use, you might say something like -

I'm now throwing this ball into the air with this hand and I'm catching it with this hand...now I will throw the ball from this hand and catch it with this hand, now I throw the ball from this hand....

Seriously Danny, I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I just couldn't resist the temptation to take a shot at 'magic patter' Smile

Good luck with your search.
Cheers
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
331 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
I use to juggling with scarfs. The colors are different and very bright.

So I ask the audience to yell the color of the scarf which is on the air. I do it very slowly first. At the beginning they can do it, but then stop with smile in their face.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
Jokes would probably be a safe way to go, juggling and non-juggling related. Since you won't be in front of the same people for long, you won't need *that* much material. Try to make-up (or look up) some Halloween jokes or one-liners. If you're wearing a costume or something, that could inspire your whole act.

You can also just announce the trick you're about to do (ie. "Hey, it's the yo-yo! No, now it's an oy-oy! Look, a box!).

Good luck, it sounds like a fun time!
--------------Charles.
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Forget tyring to draw attention to what your doing , the kids will impressed without you exlaining what it is you're doing (impressed or taking the mickey) instead try to interact with them, I assume as itis fancy dress they will be dessed up so compliment them for lookig so disgusting! If possible get some involved with what youre doing but make sure they don't lose their place in the line or they will be very annoyed!
Keep passing the open windows!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Personally I'd attack this the same way as a street show. Except your audience is going to be there and you don't have to worry about getting them to watch.

What type of juggling were you going to do? To be honest I'd stay away from ball juggling, unless you're going to be doing 5+ because kids really don't care that much for 3 ball stuff.

I'd go for the old juggling knives over a kid type of thing. End by throwing the knife a little higher and catch it near the kids face. I've done this routine loads and it always gets a scream. I also do this using 2 lads and get them to lay down and hug each other. Always gets a huge response.

Hope this helps,

Roslyn
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2004-10-24 09:55, Roslyn wrote:
I'd go for the old juggling knives over a kid type of thing. End by throwing the knife a little higher and catch it near the kids face.

Yikes, I don't think I would ever do a routine involving knives anywhere near a childs face, that sounds like a really bad idea.

Quote:
On 2004-10-24 09:55, Roslyn wrote:
To be honest I'd stay away from ball juggling, unless you're going to be doing 5+ because kids really don't care that much for 3 ball stuff.

I did the gig, and contrary to Rosyln's advice, I did 3 ball juggling and the kid's loved it. Of course, it wasn't just straight juggling. I did a variety of tricks during the juggling, and cascade and off-the-wall juggling too. The event was a lot of fun and I found that it only took 10-15 minutes before I had down an arsenal of jokes and various bits of business to accompany my juggling.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
This is not the hugely creative or theatrical solution/approach but a very good performer/juggler gave me a suggestion once which I have been able to apply successfully.

If you don't know what else to do or say and just trying to get off the ground, you can always just introduce the individual tricks/patterns. Many of the patterns already have unusual names or you can make them up yourself - giving you opportunities for humor/digressions etc........
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Gonna through my tuppence in on three ball juggling here (betcha didn't think I ever left the sideshow and escape bit). Kids LOVE complex 3 ball work, and simple three ball work with jokes or a story attached. They are only bored with three balls when you do the simple stuff for more than a couple of seconds, and they love surprises built into to juggling patters. Such as sudden bounces if you are using the right balls. Kick ups and weird catches, such as back of neck.

If you are doing good stuff with 3 balls try some real complex random pattern stuff that they cannot follow, and watch their little faces when they try to. Then add some simpler stuff with easier to follow patterns, then finish with complex again with the surprises. After that, if they ask you to do extra balls just do a quick and simple 4 then 5 ball pattern. If you have more, save it for later.

One of my favorite surprises, which works as well with adults as with kids was to have a fourth ball in an easily accesable place, such as a loose pocket, but which the crowd cannot see. I did a big left hand trick such as a sudden high throw, the audience would be pulled to watch that ball, and while they did I would grab the fourth ball unseen. I would then have the ball palmed and go back into cascade with the backs of my hands to the crowd so they couldn't see the palmed ball. A quick abracadabra, or whatever suits you and a fourth ball suddenly appeared in the pattern. Magic!

If you do the above make sure the 3 ball, then 4 ball patterns are both slow, clear and wide, so that the kiddies can actually see the fourth ball!

OH... to really sell the knife juggling over someones face. Try lying down flat and juggling them over your own. Dangerous as hell, but great if you can pull it off Smile

Hope this helps.

David 'reformed juggler' Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If all you can do is the basic cascade you need lots of help. Richard Dingman has several books out on basic performing his latest one is called "the ultimate juggling book" which you can get on ebay for under $5. The differance between the skill of juggling, and the art of juggling is like comparing a coloring book to fine art.
Good luck
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"