The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: We double dare you! :: How to bring out non-impromptu items (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Javalier
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
11 Posts

Profile of Javalier
Here in Malaysia, where we don't have any magic conventions, and hardly any magic shows at all. The people here usually have the "uncle Bob" syndrome saying "oh no, not a magic trick!". That said, it's not easy to first introduce an item to perform magic here, because you feel their tension rise before you even started.

I've got a Kamillion Koins / Black & White Surprise but problem is the moment it's taken out, people want to hold it first. They just want to check the item before any presentation is given. My only way out of this is my own presentation as explained.

I usually tell people that I want to do a hypnotic experiment (hmm.. does that mean this is a mentalism effect?). I'll tell them that in my right hand is a black chip and left hand is a white chip, only then do I open my hand to show it for the first time. Since the 'experiment' has started, they generally won't ask to look at it. Then I'll close it again, and say that the chips have exchanged places, then open my hands to show it. Following that, I'll say that I'll change them all to white, and opened my hand to show it, and do the same for the black.

I explain to them that they're hyptonised to think that the chips are black and white. Only then do I bring the two chips together and tell them that if I do not mention the colour of the chip, they'll see the true colours, and thus I proceed showing the chip in the blue, green, red and yellow. The reaction I've gotten is great for this presentation.

I would like to know how else to bring out an item to give a magic demo (gimmicked and ungimmicked). In my opinion, it's better to have a presentation where your spectator (especially grabby loved ones) do not have a change to want to check out the items. Also that they do not know it's magic until it happens. Smile

Any ideas for other items (ie cups and blals)? Thanx.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I suppose one obvious way would be to borrow an item from a spectator and switch it for the gimmicked version, although you would clearly find it difficult to borrow a set of cups and balls from your average spectator - money, rings, handkerchief, etc. would work well, however.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Javalier
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
11 Posts

Profile of Javalier
Thanx, but what I'd really like to know is how to bring out NON-IMPROMPTU items like coins, rings, hankerchief and the likes.

The question is how to bring out a deck of trick cards without audience straight away wants to check it. Or bringing out a hot rod or color changing knives, BEFORE the effect starts.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-09-03 01:12, Javalier wrote:
Thanx, but what I'd really like to know is how to bring out NON-IMPROMPTU items like coins, rings, hankerchief and the likes.

The question is how to bring out a deck of trick cards without audience straight away wants to check it. Or bringing out a hot rod or color changing knives, BEFORE the effect starts.

All of the things you want to bring out have non-gimmicked counterparts; the "hot rod" comes with a 'normal' one, the "color-changing knives" include two normal ones, and you can always carry a matching (but normal) deck of cards. Traditionally, the magician will perform the "hot rod" (for example), and then switch in the non-gaffed one to hand out for examination. In YOUR case, start with the non-gaffed item and allow it to be examined to their hearts' content; ring in the gaff when their guard is down and let 'em have it right between the eyes.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Enigma3613
View Profile
New user
California
61 Posts

Profile of Enigma3613
I've found that if you start talking about what you're going to do, without giving away the effect, and then "deciding" to do it lets you start immediately without things being examined. Henning Nelms goes into great detail about how to direct converation to a trick and then presenting your trick without ever saying "I'm going to show you a magic trick". If I remember (my copy's at home right now) the book is titled "Magic and Showmanship". If you can get a copy, it's a great guide for creating "impromptu" performances.
- Robert Doidge