The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: I Found "Gold" by Accident (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Originally I ordered Mike Powers video, Top Secret Close-Up Video, in order to learn the handling on one effect. I had recently purchased International Matrix Reverse from a Café member and needed to actual see the handling details. What I got was far more than I expected. For my applications, it's gold!

I ordered the video directly from Mike at his website and was impressed with his fast service. What I didn't expect was an entire 90 minute video that contains solid material for real-world performances. Plus Mikes explanations are among the best I've ever seen. One primary reason being that he shows me, in close-up views (that actually ARE close-up) what I'd want to see if I were with him in person. Couple that with the fact that he performs and teaches in a comfortable mode that isn't flamboyant or in-your-face, and you have a winning combination.

So, is it all brand new material never seen by mankind? No, but I'd venture to say that whatever isn't new to you will be presented and taught in ways that will make it feel new.

While Mikes hair style has changed, his quality magic effect haven't. I recommend this video for most anyone doing table hopping or any form of close-up magic.

Here's the website:
http://www.mallofmagic.com/
Click on "Products" then on "Manuscripts & Videos". Scroll down to the 5th item and see Mike in his "glory hair" days. Hair jabs aside, I recommend this video as a smart investment that will provide you with great returns in solid material.

Thanks -
Ron
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Hey Ron... I agree. "Jelly Roll" fooled me the first time I saw it.

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I really like his book. One of my favorites is Invisible Aces. Ron, any card routines from the video that you absolutely loved.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Thanks for the good press guys!! BTW there's a video of The Invisible Aces on the web site. It's in Top Secret Stuff (the book) and is also taught on the video. http://www.mallofmagic.com

It's really a shame that they no longer make the clear jelly containers needed for Jelly Roll. That was a killer somewhat impromptu trick - oh well...

Mike
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I can appreciate your comment Mike about the "loss" of the clear jelly containers. I didn't realize they no longer made those. (specifically apple jelly according to your video)

Possible idea: What about containers of honey? I believe they come packaged in the same type of individual clear containers with the peel off covers. The color and consistency would be right for the effect. If it works, maybe you could change the name of the effect from Jelly Roll to Honey Money.

Another idea: If you're forced to use a container with a dark jelly that doesn't allow the coin to be visible after the cover is peeled off (before it's pulled out), the next best step might be to have the coin marked on both sides so no matter which side lands down in the container, the spectators markings will be visible on the bottom view.

Thanks -
Ron

Posted: Oct 13, 2004 1:35pm
--------------------------------------
In answer to your question thernier:
Ironically the card effect from the video that I was instantly drawn to is the fastest: The Three Second Wonder. It's an instant cut to the four aces from a standard deck.

I appreciate it because it makes a highly visual opener for your card work and (here's a major plus) it looks like a difficult flourish to spectators, but is easy to perform. And, as the name implies, it takes three seconds.

Thanks -
Ron
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I can only say that "The PM principle" is one of the strongest things you can do for really skeptical "hand burning" types.

So clean and just really amazing.

It's in the book that was mentioned.

Great stuff Mike,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Ron! Thank you for clueing us to the video. It sure has a lot of gold in there!
It's on my next buy list.
Gerard
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Ron,

Just to show my ignorance (since I don't own this video nor have I ever seen it), in lieu of jelly jars, could you use the little glass jars that Kraft puts their cheese spread (for crackers) in? Or are the jelly jars you are discussing bigger or need screw-on lids?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Quote:
On 2004-10-16 21:46, Turk wrote:
Ron,

Just to show my ignorance (since I don't own this video nor have I ever seen it), in lieu of jelly jars, could you use the little glass jars that Kraft puts their cheese spread (for crackers) in? Or are the jelly jars you are discussing bigger or need screw-on lids?

Mike

No,

These are the clear little jelly containers that you sometimes get with your breakfast at a restaurant.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
The original Jelly Roll was created for use with clear jelly containers (not jars but the little packets found in restaurants). If you see the video, you'll know what I'm talking about.

There is a somewhat larger but similar item that contains syrup for pancakes. Unfortunately liquid is a whole lot messier to deal with than the congealed jelly.

It is possible to do the routine with the opaque containers but it's not as cool. I have thought about using a mini flashlight to show that there's a coin in the container before extracting it. I may have to return to this trick to see if I can make it effective in the "new world order."

Perhaps at some point they will ressurect the clear jelly containers. If so .. yee hah!

Mike
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Resurrecting an old thread. Ever since I saw Jelly Roll in Mike's video, I've had my radar up for other applications for the same principle. Anyone tried Tic Tax boxes, for example? Extraction would have to be altered. I love the principle and hate to see it lost w/the change in packaging. I know there are tic tac penetration tricks out there. I don't know how any of them work, so if I've stumbled inadvertently into a disclosure situation, I apologize.