The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Joyal Stack or Osterlind's "Breakthrough Card System" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Hi everyone, I wanted to know your opinions on one or the other. I already know Richards Stack and was wondering if the Joyal one is easy to do, or even worth learning since I already know the BCS? The reason I ask is because I bought Darwins new DVDs and there are tricks that require knowing a stack. Thanks
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
I use the Joyal memorized stack and do Last Laugh and Zen Master from Scams and Fantasies plus a lot of other routines.
The memorized deck can do every thing the b.t.c.s. can do plus so much more and on an average it really does only take about 6 hours to learn.

Do yourself a favor and learn a memorized stack and your mind will start overflowing with ideas(I promise).
PEACE............
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Personally, I use the Tamariz Stack. No matter which stack you use, definitely learn a memorized deck. A memorized deck can do everything the BCS can, and more.

However, I still love the BCS, even though it's not as effective as a memorized deck, and while I don't use it anymore, I am glad I learned it, to introduce me into the possibilities of a memorized deck.

Shane Wiker
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
When you say you know the BCS, do you mean you just know the methods Osterlind teaches to calculate cards in the stack, or do you also have it memorized cold?

If you take the time to memorize the stack as well, then you'll have many more effects in your arsenal. It may be more worth it for you to do that than to learn a new stack altogether.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I would suggest the memorized deck. I hear the Joyal stack is easy to memorize. But, the I know the stack has no built in features (that at least are in print). So you might want to memorize the Aronson or Tamariz. Or you could make your own stack with your own built in features.
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
The BCS is incredibly well thought out. I still have no clue how he stumbled upon its principle.
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
The BCS is the best in my opinion.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
525 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
I'm learning the Aronson. I got it from stackveiw. It doesn't teach any systems or tricks to the stack, so I'm learning it five cards a day.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Eight Spades,

Mr. Osterlind has explained how he came up with the stack in his manuscript of BCS. You should check it cos it has hafty of background info of the stack.

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I would suggest a memorized stack. I too know the BCS, but with a mem. stack, after a while there are no calculations to do, ou just know it cold. It's definately worth learning one.
-Chris
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I wouls suggest you also take a look at Doug Dyments "Quickstack" extremely easy to learn and remember.

Howard
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2504 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Thanks, Howard, for the QuickStack recommendation. I also agree that a memorized stack will ultimately be much more useful than a simple cyclic stack (though Osterlind's is arguably the best of the latter).

Prior to learning any full-deck stack, interested parties might want to read my essay on the topic. It touches on a number of considerations that are often overlooked in brief postings, and also mentions a number of stacks with which some may not be familiar.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Thank you very much for you advice everyone.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
882 Posts

Profile of e-man
The BCS is great and upon examination has a very inocent appearance,takes only seconds to decipher.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Odd that no one ever seems to think of applying techniques used to absorb the Arononson, Tamiriz etc to the BCS. People simply say "it's not a m______ stack" - why not?!! You'd have the ultimate back up tool for remembering the "next" c__d...and many tricks that apply to one m______stack apply to any m______stack. R___t?
tjo'
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
104 Posts

Profile of chanor
Working nearly entirely for the layman, I have never had anyone notice the Si Stebbins arrangement as I thumb through them unevenly and at variable rates of speed, mentioning that "all the cards are different."
So, being lazy, I never found the necessity to learn the BCS. Comments?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I think Si Stebbins is the best cyclical stack to learn. The system isn't that easy to see, you can shuffle into it from new deck order, has a poker deal built in, the system is easy to remember, and if you give 2 faros it brings all the four of a kinds together. Although I still prefer a memorized deck.
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Yes, the stebbins definitely passes the layman test. anyone who says that the pattern is easy to see isn't using it right. you don't spread the cards and leave it on the table for a long time. for some killer effects with stebbins as a memorized deck, see steve youell's latest lecture notes.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2539 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
The Si Stebbins arrangement is a skateboard, and a good memorized deck system is a high performance bicycle.

And when I work hospitality suites for engineering/technical people, the Si Stebbins simply won't pass muster - period. Proper use of the memorized deck fries 'em with no problems.

And, as they say here in Internet land, your mileage may vary...
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
I just recently learned the BCS from Osterlind's tape.
Regarding the Si Stebbins stack versus the BCS: The BCS does look completely random, and while it's easy to figure out the following card from looking at the face, I don't know how one would figure out the preceding card. If you used it extensively, I suppose memory would kick in and you'd just know. Nonetheless, this is not a problem with the Stebbins, Eight Kings stack, or a memorized deck and enables a little more flexibility, IMO.

Just my two cents.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas