The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Nice Wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
I wanted to share an idea for making some durable, yet nice looking wands.

I made up two last night. The materials are as follows:

3/8" round solid aluminum stock
3/8" heat shrink tubing
emry cloth
clear nail polish.

Everything but the nail polish should be obtainable at your local hardware store. In my case the hardware store did not stock 3/8" heat shrink tubing in the lengths that I needed but I found it at a local electronics store.

I cut the aluminum stock to 14" long then used the emery paper to polish 2 1/4" of each end of the aluminum. Then I used a 10" length of black heat shrink tubing and placed it on the aluminum stock so that 2" of the aluminium stock are exposed on each end. Note: The heat shrnk tubing is available in several colors. I set the burner on my stove to high and then held the wand over the burner so that the heat would cause the tubing to shrink tightly around the aluminum stock. I painted two coats of clear nail polish on the exposed 2" ends of aluminum and whala. A nice looking, durable wand that has a good grip.

The hardware store only sold the aluminum stock in lengths of 8 feet. The stock cost me about $7, and I bought enough heat shrink tubing, so I can convert the aluminum stock into several wands, but this way you can make several fairly inexpensively.

Hopefully someone else will find this as useful as I have.
Smile
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Great idea. Thanks for posting it!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-08-22 21:27, cfrye wrote:
Great idea. Thanks for posting it!

Actually, it's not his idea. It's an EXACT description of the "Mercury Wand" that Michael Ammar markets (without the nail polish).

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
Quote:
Actually, it's not his idea. It's an EXACT description of the "Mercury Wand" that Michael Ammar markets (without the nail polish).

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Not trying to steal anyone's idea here. I had not heard of it before and thought I would pass it along. If Michael Ammar has already printed this elsewhere then by all means he should be given appropriate credit. Thanks for providing the information Thomas.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2002-08-23 17:38, tglund wrote:
[...]
Not trying to steal anyone's idea here. I had not heard of it before and thought I would pass it along. If Michael Ammar has already printed this elsewhere then by all means he should be given appropriate credit[...]

I don't know if Ammar has "printed" it anywhere; he sells the Mercury Wand on his website and it has been on the commercial market for a few years. I doubt he is the actual manufacturer, however.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Spyder
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Spyder
Do you have any photos of the wand?
"Do you like card tricks" he asked.
I said no.
He did five
-W. Somerset Maugham
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
WoW! 8 year old thread brought back to life! Actually, I'd like to see pics too!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com