The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Chanin Shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
Hi, just curious if anyone can give me info about the shell game shells Jack Chanin produced years ago. How common are they? I have a set I just dug out of the closet and love them, wanted to know if they are still available somewhere? Thanks!
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Hold onto them, Chanin's shells are increasingly difficult to find (and hard to authenticate). Many sets that were used in performance situations have gone on to meet their ultimate fate (did you know that Walnut Dust is used to clean statues in Central Park?).

Unfortunately they are no longer available, although at least two people still makes actual natural walnut shells sets (unlike the synthetic sets such as my La Maggiore shell set). You can occasionally find sets on eBay from Karl Norman and I believe Bruce Martyn of the Boston area also makes sets...

Do the shells have the Chanin Dip work in them (you can tell if they rock when placed on a hard surface)? These are much more rare as Chanin very rarely sold sets with this work because of the time and effort involved in putting in the work...

Treasure them!

Andrew
Barajista
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Barajista
Hi Andrew, thanks for the info. I did not know that walnut dust is used to clean statues. Maybe I should buy some trees!
I haven't used the shells in so long, I will check for the dip work. My recollection is they do rock, but need to check.
BTW, where in NH are you? I grew up in Gilford, but live in Boston now. Patrick
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
I'm in Southwest New Hampshire, just down the road from Lake Sunapee... Love Gilford though, used to have family who were part owners in Sunny ??? Poultry Farm...

That goes back a couple of decades though...

I get down to Boston periodically for performances, work mainly southern NH, northern MA...

Let me know what you find about the shells...

ajp