The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: The Right Choice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
Something has been bothering me all weekend and I am looking for you opinions on if the right thing was done. Here's the situation.
I just started my new job on Friday. It's at a call center, and anyone who's worked at one knows about the fun orientation classes on the first day. The "introduce yourself and tell us your hobbies", that sort of thing. When I told them I enjoyed magic, the lady from HR got really excited and wanted to see something.
Now I have read in many books and heard from many people that if someone asks to see a trick you should show them, but I have also read and heard that you should choose your audience as best you can.
Though I have no doubt that she would enjoy it and would have great reactions (she's one of those naturally bubbly people), I told her that I would show her something later, which she was fine with.
I had many reasons for telling her this.
1.) Stage fright. I thought I could get out of it.
(but why would I want to do this?)
2.) I do close-up and don't know anything that would
play to everyone in the class. And I didn't
want anyone to get the "back stage" version of
the effect.
3.) I wasn't sure if the HR guy that was there was
one who would like to see magic, or one of those
spectators who would try to "figure it all out".

I've decided on Monday to go to the HR ladies office and show her a couple of effects.
But initially, did I do the right thing? It's been bothering me all weekend that I chickened out, which I'm trying not to do anymore.
Thanks For Your Input
Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Much to consider there Shawn.

Carrying a cig-thru-quarter gaff and using a pen might be a good idea.

Others have waited till the requester went for a smoke break, went out with them...taken out a sheet of flash paper and pretended to blow their nose into it... borrowed a lighter...

So many approaches. It's all about reading your audience. What do they want? And what do you want to give them?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Water under the bridge. It won't help to beat yourself up. Hindsight isn't always 20/20, but it does keep your eyes off the road. If you focus on where you are going, you'll possibly see that the only damage done was a missed opportunity to promote yourself for free... and through a receptive outlet. Now for the ounce of prevention...

Assume that if something has happened once, that it may eventually happen again. Prepare yourself for the likelyhood, and -always- carry something quick, bulletproof, and impressive (preferably, all in the same trick!). Jonathan has already put one good solution in your pocket. Get your pen and notepad out and start jotting down other ideas NOW! Then you won't ever have to ask yourself that question again.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I always carry three half-dollars, as well as a special something that Steve Dusheck gave me (no, it's not a shell). The halves are there so that I can do quick sleight-of-hand if the opportunity or need present themselves. The other serves the same purpose, but in the form of a gimmick that allows me to use borrowed pocket change for the impromptu illusions.

I do this specifically because, as Michael mentioned, if it happens once , it will happen again... be prepared Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I think you did right. If you have any doubt that it is not the right situation to perform in, then I think it's better to not perform. I wish more magicians were as conscientious as you.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I think it's like a bet. Some cases, it will impress you nicely, but it will impress you badly. I think the latter case occurs more.

I have almost same experience. When I was in an orientation class in Disney Land, I performed 'Chinese Stick'. I did it very well. But I felt unfriendly feeling from other classmates.

I think impressing yourself must be done in your real work, not among classmates.

Hideo Kato
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I think you did the right thing by saying you would show her later. In a room full of people who have just got together for a new job it will have the effect of making you look too eager and keen to the other members of the group. You don't want to be known as a brown-noser from day one.

I have always found in the past that a couple of coin vanishes works a treat, totally impromptu and very visual. These days I do business card mentalism, but that also means I wont find myself in an orientation class. Smile