The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Hand of Cleopatra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I want to create a similar kind of prop does anyone have any input on how to achieve this. My first thought was to use magnets to stop the spinning but how about making the spinning hand a compass that way it would always point North, Ideas? Comments?
P.S.
Please anybody who feels the need to shout copyright/ethics don't bother to reply; I am getting tired of hearing that on the workshop forum. I purchased a copy of Capricorn Tales and would like to perform one of the effects in there but the props are no longer available you can only get this prop if a collector decides to part with it for an inflated price on e-bay there is nothing wrong with wanting to make one.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I agree if you make one it might even be better then the one. that other people might have. Don,
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I got a PM and good to go
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Not wishing to get into the ethical argument too much, but the Capricornian Tales book describes a marketed effect by Tony Lackner. One really should have a book by Tony Lackner which describes his methodology in order to have the right to build the prop. I agree that once you own a book with the creator's method given with permission one has the right to make it, but I'm not sure if owning Capricornian Tales fufills that requirement. However, owning a book with the principle explained would give one moral authority to commission their own piece. And I will say that the principle has been described in other (much older) sources, I just don;t think one should point to C.T. as the source for their permission.

Also, the auction marketplace gives one a good idea of the true market value of a price, as it is selling for that which people are willing to pay, so I think "inflated" is an unfair word.

So, while I have no intention of changing your mind about what is right, I think one should seek out some real "source" materials for the effect before one feels comfortable telling others to shove their ethical concerns into silence.
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I knew this post would get a reaction from the self appointed MCEP (Magic Café Ethic Police)
The principle is an old scientific principle played with in school science class, and as you point out the principle has been in other older sources, In fact the method is tipped by Cheltnam in another effect in his book(Fetish).
This argument that one has to own this and that to make ones own is just ridiculous. I came up with my own method of creating a prop to be able to do the effect in C.C. So do I still have to own every book that explains a method?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18107 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I agree Bloodyjack! Besides...If the inventor is offended let "Him" give you a ration....Otherwise...Let's Party!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
If you came up with your own method then use it. and enjoy it.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
Isn t eye of the idol the same kind of thing,made by tenyo
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Bloodyjack,
As a creator, my stand may surprise people, concerning my OWN props/Creations. Before I state my view, I must say that this is NOT a broadbrush view...just my ideas.
Let's use my ABC Gumball Re-Combobulator as an example. If a person finds that it is not in their budget or simply has an improved version, I have NO PROBLEM if they choose to take the time, invest their own R&D and build the prop for their OWN PERSONAL USE. This would NOT include manufacturing or marketing rights of course. But hey, go at it folks! You may find it difficult to recreate my props but I am sure it would be very rewarding when your done and adding your own personal touches Smile
Bloodyjack...good luck with your project...my guess is it will turn out a hell of a lot better than the marketed versions anyway Smile
Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
Hey Chance
I feel the same way I have some effects coming out soon and if anybody wanted to copy them and make there own then it does not bother me. I have used so many different disciplines from sound recording, firmware programming, sound chip programming, mechanical animatronics, sculpting, casting, painting, Electronic design, carpentry, graphic design, web design, and video editing to name but a few.
If they can handle all those things and invest the money for the software, programming hardware, studio equipment, shop tools and the R&D time then good luck to them. The project has been over a year in R&D so far and I am still not finished.
I do have a mini version coming out in March : )
http://mysite.verizon.net/bloodyjack/
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
Yes, I think this common sense approach to ethics should apply:

(1) Make whatever you want for your own use, improve as needed...
(2) If the idea is being marketed by someone, commercial production
should be reserved for significant improvements or innovations only.
The magic marketplace is too small for copy-cat artists so be unique
and bring some new value to products.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18107 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm converting an Eye of the Idol knock off from Hong Kong into a Sphinx Head. Cost me about $15. The Tenyo Eye OI and the Hand OC are not being made anymore.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Soulstar
View Profile
New user
USA
62 Posts

Profile of Soulstar
Quote:
On 2004-10-02 22:04, truthteller wrote:
Not wishing to get into the ethical argument too much, but the Capricornian Tales book describes a marketed effect by Tony Lackner. One really should have a book by Tony Lackner which describes his methodology in order to have the right to build the prop. I agree that once you own a book with the creator's method given with permission one has the right to make it, but I'm not sure if owning Capricornian Tales fufills that requirement. However, owning a book with the principle explained would give one moral authority to commission their own piece. And I will say that the principle has been described in other (much older) sources, I just don;t think one should point to C.T. as the source for their permission.

Also, the auction marketplace gives one a good idea of the true market value of a price, as it is selling for that which people are willing to pay, so I think "inflated" is an unfair word.

So, while I have no intention of changing your mind about what is right, I think one should seek out some real "source" materials for the effect before one feels comfortable telling others to shove their ethical concerns into silence.

True - this is an effect created by german magician Tony Lackner.

But as far as I know Tony Lackner has never published any book (please correct me if I'm wrong)
The Building Plans for this illusion are in print in a german Book about Herbert Martin Paufler
(cant remember the name oft the book right now - if your interest ed in this book give me a sign, and I will see if I can get a copy for you)
Never read the instructions!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
On the original post, I would simply remind (though perhaps you already know this) that many things can affect the ability for a compass to point to north, a large bit of metal (a car, etc near by) or even a small elelctronic device when powered up- electromagnetic fields and all that......
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com