The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Sorry... this is another Aronson stack thread. but please read for the sake of my sanity (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
525 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Hi guys. I just recently got a sheet of paper with the full Aronson stack written down along with the mnemonics. One small question though. Is there a system to it or do you just have to learn it? I'd appreciate any help you can give.
AaronShields
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of AaronShields
You just have to learn it.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
There is indeed a system to it, provided in Aronson's "A Stack to Remember".
tjo'
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
A Stack to Remember is also in the "BOUND TO PLEASE" book...

Try this, it might help!
http://www.simonaronson.com/quizzer.htm
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
You mentioned that the sheet had the mnemonics. That IS the system to learning it.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
There is a great chapter on learning a stack in the Tamariz book. It applies well to all stack work.
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
129 Posts

Profile of Basil
Quote:
On 2004-09-30 16:27, Open Traveller wrote:
You mentioned that the sheet had the mnemonics. That IS the system to learning it.

Although that is true, "A Stack to Remember" has about ten pages that explain how to use that system. I just got "Bound to Please" a couple of days ago, so it's a little early for me to say if the instructions for mnemonic system are effective.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Well, good luck. For myself, I've found it more effective to NOT use the mnemonics, but everyone's mileage will vary.
anthonyb
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of anthonyb
I am also learning the Aronson stack without the mnemonics and doing all right. It is interesting to know of the chapter in Tamariz' book. Is there much else in the book of use to those not using his stack but the Aronson?
Anthony Brahams
www.thecairnpress.com
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
There are many amazing tricks that are stack independent, meaning they will work with any stack. (There are many brilliant pieces which use only half a stack, as well). Also, there is an appendix of "stack useful moves" such as glimpses, shuffle, etc.

Anyone interested in Mem deck work should be familiar with the work of Aronson, Close (Worker's 5) and Tamariz.

Brad
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
There is a system in both of these books, but learning it by brute force is easier than you think.
Jeff M. Gray
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City, OK
78 Posts

Profile of Jeff M. Gray
I would recommend highly the aforementioned book, "Bound to please" by Simon Aronson if you are interested in using his techniques for memorization. Myself, I found it a breeze to memorize the Aronson stack by route memorization. I simply wrote the stack numbers on the backs and fronts of the cards on one deck, then only on the backs for another...I would say the card and number over and over again until I got it....easy! Smile