The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: One for the Die-Hard Tricksters! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
I purchased Juan Tamariz's Mnemonica today, not for the tricks but for the bibliography with commentary in the back (Mr. Tamariz deserves credit for acknowledging his roots for the routines, etc. in the book). With all the buzz going on about this book, I'd hazard a guess that this little bibliography in the back of the book will get little comment. There's quite a bit of history, biography and bibliography in Tamariz’s bibliography, enough that this "trickster book" (my term for books dealing with the performance of magic, versus my core area of interest, magic history and biography) will make it into my HGCR series.

So that’s the lead-in to my question to all of you guys and gals who are familiar with the "trickster literature”:
What books are you aware of which are primarily “trickster” in nature but have a significant (or otherwise important because they contain unique source material) portion dealing with magic history, biography or bibliography, a la Tamariz’s latest book?

To get you going, here are some examples of such books:

1. Maskelyne and Devant’s OUR MAGIC: contains a 13 page bibliographical index of card tricks in the (then) current literature – a fascinating defacto survey of the card literature of that time.

2. T. Nelson Downs’ MODERN COIN MANIPULATION: contains a 32 page largely biographical appreciation of Downs by Hilliar.

3. Ottokar Fischer’s ILLUSTRATED MAGIC: contains a 17 page survey of contemporary magicians written by Fulton Oursler.

4. Victor Farelli’s JOHN RAMSAY’S ROUTINE WITH CUPS AND BALLS: contains a nifty 11 page bibliography of cups and balls literature.

5. David Devant’s SECRETS OF MY MAGIC: chock full of historical tidbits, despite the title’s and table of contents’ seeming focus on tricks and illusions.

6. Howard Thurston’s 400 TRICKS YOU CAN DO: contains an 8 page biographical sketch of Thurston.

7. Dai Vernon’s MALINI AND HIS MAGIC: in addition to the short “Malini: the Man” chapter, Vernon’s descriptions of Malini’s effects are often laced with history.

Because my focus is on magic history and bibliography, I’m confident that I’ve overlooked some very good (or even not so good?) “trickster” books with valuable historical or bibliographical reference material in them.

Care to provide some leads? Besides the author and title name, if you have the time, a brief idea of the historical, etc. content would be most helpful.

Many thanks in advance,

Clay
Martin Joyal
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Martin Joyal
Clay,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here are a few suggestions.

For biographies:
- Dunninger, Joseph
100 Houdini Tricks you can do
Fawcett, 1944

- Goldin, Horace
It’s Fun to Be Fooled
Magico reprint, circa 1993

- Olson, Robert
Carl Rosini: His life and His Magic
Magic, Inc., 1966

- Severn, Bill
Bill Severn’s Guide to Magic as a Hobby
McKay, 1979

- Britland, David
Master of the Game
Martin Breese, 1988

For bibliographies:
- Abrams, Max
Annemann: The Life and Times of a Legend
L&L, 1992

For biographies and bibliographies:
-Romano, Chuck
House of Cards: The Life & Magic of Paul Rosini
Charles J. Romano, 1997

- Hay, Henry
The Amateur Magician's Handbook
Signet, 1974

- Thompson, J.G. Jr. (compiled by)
"My Best"
Tannen, 1959

- Townsend, Charles Barry (edited by)
Merlin’s Catalog of Magic
Hammond, 1981

Also of interest:
- Hargrave, Catherine Perry
A History of Playing Cards
Dover, 1966

Hope this will help!

Martin
The Six-hour Memorized Deck
The Joyal Index
http://www.joyalstack.com/
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Martin, many thanks for your time and trouble. Some of these titles are new to me. C.

Anybody else with some input?
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
That's it? Martin's the only magician who recognizes magic history in "how to" books? Where's Jonathan T., that well-read man who loves Hofzinser? what about the rest of you guys?
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Crostwaithe's "Arcardia" is chock-full of Think-a-card information.

More as I read them...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Thanks, Patrick.

When you say it's full of Think-a-Card information, is it historical information on the development of the trick? A bibliography of literature on the trick? Information on who performed it? Just curious if you can help me with some guidance. In any event, I appreciate the info. Clay
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Yes, yes, and yes.

Complete with names, dates, publications, LOTS of footnotes...the book reads like a college text.

Enjoy!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.