The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Food for thought :: Anyone performed for Orphanages? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Was thinking about doing this...

Might as well ask here first...

Anyone experienced with this?

Thanks!

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The logistics I mean...

Material wouldn't need to change from my regular children's/teen's show, would it?

Smile
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3228 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I've performed with my local SAM assembly at various places including the local childrens home. We perform there every year.

If you have a normal show that covers young children and teenagers, than you're probably all set. Kids are kids.

Expect that older children might be embarrassed to be there, even though that’s irrational. Often the parents are in jail and/or there was child abuse. It's best to avoid any references to their family.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I've performed in lots of orphanages. They have always been fun for me. I try to do some warm up first, so they can get to know me and feel comfortable. I just do my normal show and try to have a lot of fun with them. Some places are pretty somber and the kids lack self esteem, while others do better.

Otherwise it's a great thing to do! Nothing like cheering up others to make your own problems disappear. I visited two three year olds today who are in the hospital having chemo. I just focus on making them happy and being a fun guy. Works like a charm for me.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
I havn't but I think it would be a rewarding experiance.
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
Just carefully review your routines and lines and think in terms of how they can be interpreted. I perform for DD (Developmentally Disabled) Adults on a regular basis. While non-cutting scissors are funny and a great routine, It take on a nasty, almost mean spirited, tone when performed with people who have difficulties in everyday life with simple tasks like cutting with scissors. Remember to treat them like regular kids without reminding them of their situation. Your performance should provide a brief escape from what the world give these guys every day. Then again, isn't that what all performances should do? Go out there and make a difference!
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
413 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
The only time I ever performed for kids was at an orphanage. I realized then and there that it's definitely not the age group I want to work for, but it was a great experience and I got a lot out of it. Kids can be very grabby and get excited easily which is definitely a good thing to learn from.

Makes you feel good to perform for orphans though, the happiness and looks of astonishment definitely makes it all worthwile.

Just read your second post now, if you already have a good set for kids that you usually do, I wouldn't deviate from it, it'll work just as well.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks all for the advice and opinions! Much appreciated!

Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are all sorts of orphanages. I have performed for several of them. There is one type that you probably can't perform for, though. These are the places where the children were involved in custody battles. In these places, the identity of each child is kept under wraps. It's a complex thing, and they don't like strangers coming in. They think of them as a possibility for someone doing an "intervention," which is another word in some cases for a kidnapping.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com