The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: The Ultimate TT? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
chanor
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
104 Posts

Profile of chanor
I know cosmetic match is supposed to be unimportant, but Hocus Pocus advertises a nonmagnetic (about $100) and magnetic (about $135) TT made by Arlen Studio. A mold is made of your digit with color selected from a color chart and sent to them. Expensive, but sounds sexy. Anyone tried it? Is this overkill for the paranoid?
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
413 Posts

Profile of Mauricio Jaramillo
Yeah, I'd consider it overkill since you don't want to be showing your thumb in the first place. I mean, it'd be nice to be able to flash the thumb more freely, but there are ways of doing that, and for the price it sells for, a standard TT will be good enough. If somebody's doing TT work in the first place, I assume that they know how to use it properly and could probably pull it off with a bright red TT.

However, if it makes you feel more confident about your act, go for it, but it really isn't necessary.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-09-12 13:51, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
If somebody's doing TT work in the first place, I assume that they know how to use it properly and could probably pull it off with a bright red TT.

I think most of us have seen that quote -- or one substantially like it -- but have you ever actually seen anyone do it? I haven't.

As for Arlen's work, I'd say if you, as a performer, can justify the use of the prop, then it's useful.

I've done similar work for a tool I use on occasion. I consider the work involved worthwhile.

John LeBlanc
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
413 Posts

Yes, that quote's thrown around a lot and I have seen it done, just so you know. I'm sure Arlen Studio does a good job on the prop and it can be useful to many, but it just isn't necessary in the long run. Just my honest opinion.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Michael Ammar uses a red TT in his teach-in videos.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
True about the red thumb tip, but Keith's thumb tip is very handy if your doing a spirit board effect like Charles Cameron's "Ten Talons of Taz."

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Nachtzehrer
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
324 Posts

Profile of Nachtzehrer
I'm my opinion, that TT is useful if you have an unusually large or small thumb, or a very evident scar on the thumb, or other very obvious mark.

As for matching the color, I don't think it's worth it. Just my thoughts.

Alex
Alex
amadrigal
View Profile
New user
Bolingbrook IL
79 Posts

Profile of amadrigal
Is there an available link to the TT? Thanks.
If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
Harry S Truman (1884 - 1972)
Mauricio Jaramillo
View Profile
Elite user
Colombia
413 Posts

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I like Jay Scott Berry's ECLIPSE - TT, with a special finesse.

http://www.jayscottberry.com/jsbeclipse.html
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
I don't think you need any expensive good-looking TT's; you just need to master the techniques behind the cheaper ones. The owner of a magic shop a couple of cities away was showing a guy some tricks with a thumbtip. I was at another angle and it looked awesome; I thought he was using a very good TT. He then showed the man and he was actually using a temporary thumbtip made out of black electrician's tape.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Overkill for the paranoid.

Anyone that suspects you're using one would still suspect you're using one anyway.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 15:29, Frank Starsini wrote:
Overkill for the paranoid.

Ditto.