The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: topit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bfrancabandera
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bfrancabandera
I have noticed that Michael Ammar has a vhs tape series on the uses of the topit. I was wondering if there were any other resources out there about the topit? Is it worth it? And does anyone know about how much a tailor charges to install one?? Thanks for any information.. Smile
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Depends on the tailor. I actually made my topit and the seamstress that I used charged roughly $35. USD, to install. The problem with a topit (this applies to me only!!) is that I found the tux jacket a tad passe (to old for my style performance). Off hand I know that Lance Burton and JD Bass use one to great sucess. If you pick up a copy of MAGIC Magazine there are "magic tailor" ads in there all the time, who customize a topit to your needs. Personally there are other ways to achieve the same effect for my shows so I dropped the use of one.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Michael Ammar installs a topit in every suit he owns. He then smiled and said that makes his wardrobe a business expense. I like the thinking behind Michael's pattern, and I made one up for myself without a tailor so I can't really answer the price question.

The real value of the Topit Tapes is in what you can do with it once you have it. You really don't want people to have any clue that you just threw something in your pocket. The misdirection and body english is very important, and for this application (Sorry Randy) I think video gets this across better than a book.

David
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You don’t even have to sew a TOPIT in. You do lose a degree of freedom and the ability to retrieve your object from the pocket. I have sewn TOPIT’s in several sports coats, in a performing tux and in some performing suits. I even have a Hawaiian shirt (heavy cotton) that has a TOPIT sewn in (bought two identical shirts to get the proper material. I wear the shirt open, jacket style over a colored T-shirt.

All that said I still tend to use an old Pat Page pin-in TOPIT. It works fine for the effects I need to use it for.

I also use a black hair net pinned in place. It works great. Finally, I have used a gentleman’s pocket-handkerchief pinned in place. Guess what? Yes, you’re right, it worked! By the way, both the hair net and the handkerchief idea came from a Pat Page lecture I attended in 77.

I wonder do you actually have a routine that requires the use of a TOPIT? If so does your routine require that you take the item from your coat pocket later? If the answer is no, but you really want to learn to use a TOPIT, then make an inexpensive on to try out and learn on before you go to the expense of tailoring a jacket.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Mumblepeas is right on the button. It is not easy to master Topit use, so put a little work in before spending.

The Topit was a British idea created pre-1920s and initially sold as a deck vanish.
Pat Page put out the first Topit video.

A different style Topit was advertised not too long ago, but I cannot remember the detail.

Paul.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
And if you happen to get one already made up, (a friend gave me one that I think he said was an Ammar), and I safety pin it into a normal sport coat when I don't have/don't want to wear my Magic Jacket, a sport coat with a double topit and all sorts of other gaffs like Specially modified for Sleeving, Pat Page Sleeve Drop, and finger tip steals and reveals of lit matches, etc, etc. Smile

And except for the fact that I am more used to my custom jacket, and use a lot of the other features of it; the safety pinned topit works just fine.

I also have the Carl Cloutier videos on Topit and Sleeving and recommend considering the possiblity of both if you are thinking of having custom work done on a jacket.

The combination of a good sleeving function and good topit makes for a stunning bit of appearance and vanishes and all pretty easy with right set up.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Bfrancabandera
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bfrancabandera
Thanks for all of your replies. Perhaps I will look around and start with a book before I invest in the whole deal. Thanks a bunch!!

Brandin
Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
In Cellini's lecture this year he tips his toppit. He also sells the pattern.

It offers the ability to open your coat and close it and have the toppit ready to work.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I didn't get to his lecture yet, as I can't seem to find any place that has had the information about where he will be, in time for me to arrange getting there. I was told of Buffalo three days before his lecture, and Cincinnatti only a day ahead, and was unable to make either due to the short notice.

But he also gives the topit tips in his Art of Street Performing, although you dont get the pattern on he video, he does explain it very clearly. I think that the tip on the "auto open/close" topit is worth the price of the video or lecture notes!!

It is a great answer to that question of
"how do I make sure it's ready to accept items" question.

I am still hopeful that I will get to see him in lecture this year or next.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.