The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Clowning around :: Clowning with one man. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Roodsnavel
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
42 Posts

Profile of Roodsnavel
Hi, I have a point.
Clowning seems better going when you are with two or more clowns, than in a one man-show.
the interaction between two clown stimulates the interaction with the public, How can you clown in a one man-show?
Greetings from Holland

Harry

God Bless You All!!!
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I can tell by your makeup that you are new a being a clown. A real clown doesn't show skin.

When I was a clown. I use to walk away from the other clowns I was with. They all stay together and walk together.

I work good as a one man-show!! I don't need the help of any clowns to make people laugh.

But then again, I been doing this for over 20 yrs.

The only time two or more clowns are good together. Is when all of them know how to be a clown, and not just people walking around with makeup on.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Hi Roodsnavle,
There are some very good books to halp a clown along. I enjoy clowning with others but most of the time I clown alone. They can seldom afford two or more clowns.
Clowning with the circus we did alley skits and warm ups and I loved it, but I also have a great time clowning on my own. I have most of the time for 16 years. It is my business to clown around.
Roodsnavel
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
42 Posts

Profile of Roodsnavel
Hi, I'm from Holland.
Magicusa, "A real clown doesn't show skin": In our country you don't see white face clowns. Most of the time the clown only wears a red nose. "showing no skin" and "know how to be a clown"
seems to be a paradox to me.

Jewls can you give me the titles of good books? In Holland they don't write books about this subject.
Greetings from Holland

Harry

God Bless You All!!!
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2004-08-28 18:12, Magicusa wrote:
I can tell by your makeup that you are new a being a clown. A real clown doesn't show skin.

Not True. Being a real clown has very little to do with make-up. There is such a thing as the European Auguste.

Make-up is also irritating to some people's skin (like mine) and the European Auguste makeup approach is a blessing to us.

Here's an Excerpt from my webpage. Clown Types article courtesy of Bruce "Charlie" Johnson, Clowns of Armerica International, Artist in Residence.

European Auguste
In America, a naturalistic style of make up, referred to as the European Auguste, is becoming increasingly popular. It is similar to the style of make up used by Auguste clowns early in the twentieth century and the style developed by clowns in the Soviet Union. It is used most often either in theatrical settings or by hospital clowns. This character often is portrayed as either an average person trying to cope with everyday problems or as an innocent discovering the world for the first time.

The best known examples of this style of clown are Bill Irwin, working in theaters and as Mr. Noodle on Sesame Street, and Loonette on TV's Big Comfy Couch.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Roodsnavel; European tradition does show skin as well as many american clowns are begining to adapt. I have been performing as a single clown for the past 34 years. I do silly magic, puppetry, and impression. In the American circus clowns would often perform a single act if you will in walkaround. Lou Jacobs motorized bathtube or Emmett Kelly and Otto Grebling come to mind. Clowning in a group is more suited to a organized skit or playlet IE the house a fire gag or the safe cracker. It is not of couse the only way to go. Hope that helps.