The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: A turn of the page :: Life of Robert-Houdin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
I've come across a copy of the above-referenced book, published by Porter & Coates, translated to English by Dr. R. Shelton Mackenzie in 1859. Anyone know if this is a valuable edition?
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
This edition was published beginning in the 1870's - don't let the 1859 copyright date mislead you. Next to the Dover edition put out in the 1960's, this is by far the most common edition. Depending on condition, the book is worth between $25 and $80, although some crazy people have paid more for it thinking it's a first edition.
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Thanks Clay, I appreciate your speedy response on this. You have saved me a ton of money - that 1859 date did look quite attractice to me, but since I have already read the book and am now told that the Fechner books straighten out some creative liberties Mssr. Robert-Houdin took in writing this.

I still think that this is one of the more enjoyable books that I have read by a magician.

Thank you again for the information.

Best!
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo