The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Looking for a thumb involving routine with the Ellis Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I like the concept and the simplistic effect of the Ellis ring penetrating a silk to land up on someone's bare thumb. It seems that "Thumb Fun" from either Phoenix or John Howie's book on the Ellis ring is one of the known routines for such an effect.

I can't find either resource so I'm stumped.

Can someone recommend where to purchase either of these resources or possibly can someone recommend another or better routine with the Ellis ring and strong spectator interaction? I understand there are a fair number of Ellis routines with wands without that spectator interaction, but I want the ring to land on their thumb or have them hold the ring, etc.

Thanks!
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
532 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
The Ellis Ring routine with a silk and a spectators thumb can be found in Bruce Elliots bok "The Best in Magic" from 1956. The tricks and routines in this book are from The Phoenix.
It was quite a popular book so I don't think it is so hard to find.
I actually have it in a Swedish (!) translation, but I guess it won't help you much though! Smile

This was my first serious magic book as a 10 year old boy! Great book, even today!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Go to Ron Bauers website. I think it is http://www.thinklikeaconjuror.com. Sorry, but I'm not quite certain. At any rate, if you get there, he has a routine with the Ellis ring on the thumb. Very nice, very practical!

Mike
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Special user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
532 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
The best thing I've seen in this area is Chuck Smith's "Ring Ceremony." It uses a duplicate ring rather than a shell. It's more sure-fire.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 17:47, Thomas Walter wrote:
Ron Bauers website is
http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/indexa.htm

Thomas,

What is the name (and number?) of the RB routine using an Ellis ring? A quick review of the descriptions of the 24 booklets by me did not reveal its name. This info would be greatly appriceiated. Thanks.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
By the way, I received my Johnson Ellis Ring (so beautiful) and a "classic" thumb and silk routine is included.

Thanks also to Pete for his PMs that included insight on Ellis ring routines.

..and of course, thanks for everyone who posted with answers. I picked up "The Best in Magic.". Found it for $4 and it's neat, old book.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2004-08-23 14:42, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 17:47, Thomas Walter wrote:
Ron Bauer's website is
http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/indexa.htm

Thomas,

What is the name (and number?) of the RB routine using an Ellis ring? A quick review of the descriptions of the 24 booklets by me did not reveal its name. This info would be greatly appriceiated. Thanks.

Mike

Turk,

The Ellis Ring Routine is a free download. It is in the section with other material that Ron published in Genii and Tops. The download is a reproduction of those articles. The Ellis Ring thing originally appeared in a Magicana in Genii about 1982...

On the home page click on the place that says "click here for latest," then scroll down until you see Jellis Ring. Click on that.. for the secret password type in anything on the first line, and then retype whatever you typed on the second line - sneaky, isn't he?

Enjoy!

Best, PSC

P.S. As far as I know Ron has no intention of including the "Jellis Ring" in the RB Private Studies Series... Also, there is no accompanying patter for this effect. Too bad, but if you have read RB's other material you will have an idea how he might present this. If not, PM me and I'll try to help. Remember, the first part is a joke! It is a red herring to set up the real trick...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ron has moved things around, you can now get this routing in his "inside info" section

http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/insideinfo.htm

""The Best in Magic.". Found it for $4 and it's neat, old book."
I am enjoying this book; it has some nice gems in it. And I got my copy for 27c!, but had to pay $3.99 for postage.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Steve Hart has a write-up of the routine in a set of his lecture notes. I have a copy of The Best In Magic and it's there, too.