The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Ending? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hello, I would like your opinions on the end of my silk "Act" because I am interested to know how it would wash if I where to enter a comp. Ok the begining is a remove a silk from my pocket, look at it then take of my glasses and clean them. I put them back on and am then struck with a thought, I produce several silks from this one silk. afterwards I pick them all up to kind of show them to the audience then suddenly the silks begin to bubble (Silk Fountain). On and on the silks bubble then I reach into the middle and start pulling a streamer out of the fountain more and more of it comes out (25 foot to be exact!) Once it is all out I show them place them down in my hat walk foward and take my bow. So what I am thinking is will the judges like it do you think I mean the message is that I started with one silk then from that one silk produce all the other stuff. Does that make sense? I am going to go to bed now as over here (UK) it is 3:23am but like most people I like posting at night.

Best Wishes,

Luke
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Luke,
After the fountain is finished and you produce the 25 foot streamer...
load a 36 inch silk (trap folded), loaded with colored mylar confetti.

Kregg
POOF!
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
There many ways you can go with this. If you're talking about competition then I think you should think about a bigger load since silks do compress quite well. If you take Kregg's suggestion then perhaps after the 36" (some do 6-9 ft silks) you can produce a dove or two at the very end or perhaps a flag on a 4 ft pole or a large bouquet of feather flowers. By coincidence, I showed a couple of friends and a couple of magicians my final load: 40- 50 spring bills (using real money) pop out all over the place right from the middle of the silks. Just some thoughts.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You should definitely put a kicker at the end of the streamer. Bigger the better. Feather flowers work well beause they expand so much. Spring flowers or solid objects. Remember you have a large load of silk to steal something into. You just have to work out the blocking of where it is hidden (body or otherwise) and how to make the steal.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Luke,

Being a surprise is worth a lot in competitions as well as pleasing to the audience. Johnny Thompson produces a real bowling ball. Personally, I like producing live animals. However in one of the funniest shows I ever did I produced about a peck of hot peppers (real of course!). It certainly does not have to be from a magic shop. I've even produced cans of V-8 juice and a live lobster. It's your show!

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Bob - a LIVE lobster...now that's funny and inventive. Next time maybe you could produce some candles, and a nice white wine too Smile

(then of course, invite me to dinner)
Logic Defied
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Alym,

For a time I did magic in fashion shows produced by a modeling agency that had a very large number locations in the USA. As a magician I did the "scene setting" for the next group of clothing to be shown. (It also bought dressing time for the models.)

If a city has a major hotel and real theater suitable for fashion shows, I have probably produced candles, a bottle of wine (with glasses) and flowers there for the evening wear part of the fashion show. I could do it in my sleep to “The Days of Wine and Roses”! (The dry cleaners all over the country must still have all my good match pulls. All of my first dozen are gone.) It was great work. That was the last time I had a really good piano player who could read my mind and make the music fit the action. I think someone in Branson stole him from us. (It’s just awful when others recognize great talent!)

The live lobster loads were the result of a client that owned a chain of lobster restaurants and hotels/motels. I was asked (and complied) to substitute live lobster loads for doves. I hope I can avoid that adventure again! The equipment smelled so badly that I sold it all and started over. (Chalet loved that!)

Perhaps unloading that smelling equipment was the last load?

Scheme!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
209 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
I too am addressing this issue (loads from silk). I plan to produce a streamer using a black bag (i.e. dove type bag) I steal from my open top box (after producing several small squares from a newspaper). I would love to get more specific on additional steals from this point. I can't seem to choreograph myself back to the box, leaving body loads as the only answer.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Foxbiz,

Do a torn and restored newspaper with the newspaper or make something (hat, tree, etc.) of it. Then you have something that needs to be put away near the box.

Gene Anderson appears on The Magic Café at times. He is the newspaper wizard. Ask him for help.

Of course, I am the wrong guy to talk you out of body loads. I like them.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com