The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Encyclopedia of card sleights (Daryl) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2004-07-24 00:35, Chessmann wrote:
SirBrad,

I wouldn't call DVD's a "quick gratification" method of learning. We all pick up things differently. I learn much better from seeing than from reading (thought I do read - it would be a mistake to ignore the great material that can be found in print only).

Some learn best by books, others by seeing (as I do). My philosophy has always been to get the job done in the most effective way possible, regardless of the method.

Mark

I agree, but I use that term mostly for all the beginners out there thinking that a dvd can replace reading a book, just because they assume they will learn everything right away after viewing a 30 minute dvd, as opposed to having to read a 300 page book. as I said above, "Not saying that I can't learn from it, though, as I am sure I will learn many things. I was asking the question for others who may have problems reading, or learning deficiencies when it comes to reading long books"

some ppl order a dvd just to take the easy way out, not because it is necessarily better quality, or because they learn better from viewing, as opposed to reading.

I agree that both ways have their advantages, and disadvantages, just seems like most ppl are looking to take short cuts, and expect the same results as ppl who put the required time, and work in to reading. usually you can absorb a lot more content in a shorter amount of time reading however, but that depends on each inviduals comprehension ability.

I think these dvd sets would be an invaluable piece of learning, and referencing material.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
pnjtony
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of pnjtony
I've recently been diagnosed with adult ADD (I've prolly had it all along). I refuse to take any pills with the chemical make-up as close to cocaine as possible (ridlin) so I just deal with it. I used to be able to read easily and now I just find myself putting the books down or opting for audiobooks from the library. That all being said I love learning from DVDs. Aside from being able to concentrate on it easier, you can see how something is supposed to look. I tried learning bits from Royale Road to Card Magic and just couldn't visualize what they were saying. Maybe it's because of my condition, I dunno, but I do know that watching something is way easier. I pick it up really fast too so I pretty much just have to hone my patter and fluidity.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2004-07-22 22:04, Russ Frazier wrote:
Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids.

your right trix are for kids. however these are all sleights.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2004-07-25 23:17, pnjtony wrote:
I've recently been diagnosed with adult ADD (I've prolly had it all along). I refuse to take any pills with the chemical make-up as close to cocaine as possible (ridlin) so I just deal with it. I used to be able to read easily and now I just find myself putting the books down or opting for audiobooks from the library. That all being said I love learning from DVDs. Aside from being able to concentrate on it easier, you can see how something is supposed to look. I tried learning bits from Royale Road to Card Magic and just couldn't visualize what they were saying. Maybe it's because of my condition, I dunno, but I do know that watching something is way easier. I pick it up really fast too so I pretty much just have to hone my patter and fluidity.

we all learn in different ways, and personally I believe both are invaluable in their own rights. I grew up learning from the old big hard backed books, however I welcome any learning aid that is sufficient enough to teach one properly, and help make things a little clearer sometimes. Smile
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
This is a great set. I bought it on tape several years ago. This set is a good example of the superiority of DVDs over video: having it on DVD would make it a lot easier to use as a reference work - it's a bit of a drag having to FF or REW through entire volumes.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2004-07-27 19:37, taliesin wrote:
This is a great set. I bought it on tape several years ago. This set is a good example of the superiority of DVDs over video: having it on DVD would make it a lot easier to use as a reference work - it's a bit of a drag having to FF or REW through entire volumes.

that is true. however at the current price rate a lot of ppl cannot afford to spend $250 for this set, especially kids, or newcomers of the art. if I was them, I would gladly buy the VHS version at $130 cheaper. heck even $100 is a big chunk of change for a kid who is on a low weekly allowance. I agree though that navigation is less convenient, but hey it will only help seeing the same sleights over and over again. Smile

also how long is taken per sleight? is it done once full speed, then once in slow motion? or just very slowly one time through?
atrudo
View Profile
Regular user
New Hampshire
190 Posts

Profile of atrudo
I have one of the Daryl series and one of the Ackerman series and I must say that I like the Ackerman series more. The Daryl vids were fine, but Allan seemed to cover in better detail. Although, the Daryl series does seem to cover more material.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
For the beginner, I think Daryl's is a better all-round series: it has good advice for the experienced cardician, but at the same time has a lot to offer for the beginner.

sirbrad, Daryl goes through the sleights at a fair pace - there's a lot of stuff packed in here. Certainly nowhere near as much time spent on 'superpractice' as in the Ammar 'Easy to Master' tapes - hence my comments about the advantages of DVD.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Thanks Smile
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Your welcome Smile