The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Across the Void - Paul Hallas (a Magixc Portal review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
746 Posts

Profile of canaday
Across the Void – Paul Hallas
$30.00
https://www.lulu.com/shop/paul-hallas/ac......geSize=4

The Hype:
A classic of magic explored in all its forms. Over a century of ideas, random numbers of cards travel, selected cards, signed cards, thought of cards, cards with different colored backs it's all here! Versions for stage, parlor and close-up. Not just references and ideas (although there are plenty) but a number of fully detailed routines. This new hardcover edition includes an extra two bonus routines that did not appear in earlier editions.

My Take:
Two of my favorite authors are Jeffrey Deaver and Dan Brown. It is very obvious in reading their novels how much work goes into researching facts and history before a pen is ever put to paper. I think you will find the same mind set in reading Paul's books. The amount of detail and information in his books I find amazing.

In two previous books that I have reviewed (“Small but Deadly” and “Still Small, Still Deadly”), Paul includes pretty much any information on the tricks and plots that you might ever want. He will take a trick, tell you about the origin and list about every variation that has been done, including the creator, the name it was published under, variations, opinions as to the quality of this variation and in quite a few cases actually teaches you one of the routines.

The previous two books took this approach to packet tricks (and you should own both) and here Paul puts out a college level course on the cards across plot. I will have to admit that my knowledge on this effect was very linted but this book corrected that fairly rapidly. Paul lists a ton of variations including routines with specially gaffed cards, counts, palming and a few other techniques. It definitely got me thinking about how I could come up with a routine for cards across that is not in the book. And, yep. I did it. This book will inspire you to do some serious creative thinking on ou own.

One thing I really enjoy in Paul's writing is that when he tells you of the genesis of a trick and it's variations, he not only describes it thoroughly but gives a ton of information. Creator, dates, books, magazines, etc. It will inspire you to do some research on your own. Paul seems to be a walking encyclopedia of card magic and facts plus it seems very obvious that he is intimately familiar with each item he discusses. He must have a huge library to draw from (plus a very patient and understanding wife!) He mentions several books that I have on my shelf that I will have to dig out again such as early Paul Harris and lecture notes from Daryl.

I currently have eight of Paul's books on my shelf and have read each one cover to cover. I would have to highly recommend any of his volumes as a must have. Especially if you enjoy magic history.