The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Air travel with mag cxxns (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
307 Posts

Profile of avik_d
I am going to be on an air trip (domestic within the US), and this is going to be my first time with some stuff that can trigger the scanner - my mag cxxn sets (I will be carrying my Split focus and Symphony coins). I generally do close-up, and primarily with things that appeared "Safe" to the TSA in the past e.g. finger rings, strings, deck of cards, normal coins (kennedy halves), and those came out of the x-ray check just fine. This is the first time I am going to carry my mag sets. Usually I do not check-in anything, and I will be traveling for leisure (not any show) - so shipping those mag sets beforehand to my destination seems to be overkill (and probably expensive as well). I have spent considerable money to buy those mag sets, so I don't want to lose them, or be seized by TSA.

Anyone else in this situation, and if yes, how did you handle it ? Cheers !
Best,

-Avik
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2369 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I don't think it will be a problem.
I keep two thick disc magnets in an old checkbook in my back pocket as a holdout. The checkbook has never been flagged on countless trips through security.
My non-magnetic Morgans generally haven't been flagged either.
I've gotten stopped for Industrial Revelation but nothing taken away.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1840 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I have a bag4life in my backpack that I usually have on hand, and I've never had a problem.
I also have a magnetic money clip which I've carried for years, and has likewise never been flagged.
I wouldn't walk through a metal detector with either (for obvious reasons), but in terms of bag scans I can't imagine it would cause any concern.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
My Split Focus and a super strong Magnetic Walking Liberty, along with my Flux gimmick go through the scanner in my backpack at least 4-5 times a month and have never once triggered any concern. You should be completely fine.
avik_d
View Profile
Veteran user
Targetting a Zillion, till now just
307 Posts

Profile of avik_d
Thank you all for your replies ! Very much appreciated, and I am much more at ease now !!
Best,

-Avik
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
409 Posts

Profile of Jay
They don't care--TSA is only looking for threats to public safety. As mentioned previously, just don't go through the metal detector with that (or anything really) in your pockets. Enjoy!
magojose|
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of magojose|
It´s not a problem at all. Just place them on your personal belongings and go ahead