The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Forcing and odd-backed card while seated at a table. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
maze_end
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of maze_end
I'm doing a routine that forces an odd-backed card off the bottom of the deck at the beginning of the show without exposing the back. Doing a riff on this excellent effect from Tomas Blomberg, Tatto Two featured on Blomberg Laboratories

Seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO8wgcclk0Y

I really like the force he teaches to do the switch.. but am finding it challenging getting the angles right while seated.

I've also been looking at the Lorayne Force which does what I need, but am having similar angle troubles at the table. It's totally a me issue, but curious if there's any more table oriented forces to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
525 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
The force that Bannon used in the original "Tattoo You" should suit your needs. If you don't have his book "Smoke and Mirrors" I believe the routine is available on Penguin as a single trick download.
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
731 Posts

Profile of ftlum
If I recall correctly, the touch force of Gary Oullet might work.
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
Use a Hindu stop force, or an over hand shuffle stop force and retain the bottom card by gripping over the top with the ring finger and overhand shuffle like normal. You don’t need to show the back when they select the card. It’s weird. They just assume it’s the colour of the deck regardless.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1199 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I believe Tomas's force is his variation of Michael Close's MC Spread Double Lift.
Michael talks about the move at length in this video. At about 10 minutes, he talks about forcing an odd backed card. At about 13 minutes he refers to an unnamed "young magician" with a great (but difficult) variation. I suspect that is Tomas B.
https://www.facebook.com/michaelclosemag......24779982

However, I think it would be much easier to do a standard Hofzinser Under Spread Force (with the force card coming from the bottom rather than near the top). When the spectator touches a card, split the deck at that point, square the half-deck and flip it face up. This is much more straightforward than either the MC or TB handling, and the spectator still thinks they see the face of the card they just touched.

The Gary Oullet Touch Force achieves the same thing, and is easier if you have trouble getting the bottom card into play, as I used to for a long time.
Also the Lorayne Force would work nicely.

Another option would be to use Rough & Smooth, Double Sided Tape, Wax, Science Friction etc to stick another card to the back of the odd card. That would allow you to have it near the top of the deck, cull it, then force it under the spread. Or even do a Classic Force, I suppose
Or - taking that idea a step further - you could have a whole deck set up to force an odd-backed card by using a variation of a Pop Eyed Popper deck.

I think the force used by John Bannon is terrible. It just looks such an unnatural way to choose a card.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
There is a version of Hofzinser force on April 2024 Genii in Jamy Ian Swiss column that accomplishes what you need. Basically it is just under the spread force done from bottom but very well explained.

I personally prefer Marlo force Marlo Bottom Deal Exchange – New Tops – November 1974. Similar action to Hofzinser one but no square up needed. Slightly more difficult though but more deceptive.

Juha-Matti
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Bizzaro forces an odd-backed card in Hyper Color. His technique may or may not be useful but it is an option.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
After watching the attached video which the OP shared, unless being mindset on going pure SOH, I suggest taking a look at The Dark Card.
https://www.lybrary.com/the-dark-card-p-925470.html
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
You could always use the (overlooked) 10-20 force - but with the pack face up. Obviously, the force card wouldn't be on the bottom at the outset.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.