The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Can you do card tricks in your dreams? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
In my dreams, I can never successfully do the trick. I just fumble with the cards. It seems to me that there is a part of the brain that knows the plot of the trick and a different part that knows the method. The part that knows the method isn't working when dreaming.

I'm a juggler but I also can't juggle in my dreams.

What is your experience when doing magic in a dream?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
712 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Fascinating topic! Like you, Mike, I am hopeless in my dream life. My hands stiffen up, nothing works, cards are dropped --- in dreams, everything that could go wrong goes wrong.

So in my dream life, I am a terrible magician. But oddly, in my dream life I can play guitar WAAAAY better than I play in real life! Very fluid, very expressive, imaginative intervals --- in my dream life I can hold my own with Clapton!
Grey
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, WA
51 Posts

Profile of Grey
I cannot do card tricks in my dreams. I have, however, flown, and that was way more fun than my dream Ace Assembly.
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Elliot 1927-1956
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I was just talking about flying in dreams with my family. Each of us had slightly different methods. I had an anti-gravity sphere I could hold to my stomach and lean on and control the flight with my breath. My mom had a jet pack. My sister said she just held out her arms.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
UKNeil
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
I had quite an extensive background in the combat arts. At one point I was training up to 11 hours a day. I would often dream about practicing techniques. I think any hobby you are committed to putting in the hours you end up dreaming about. Its an in interesting topic.
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Yes. When I was a waiter I dreamed that tables were actually a maze and I couldn't get to my customers.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Wow.. never had a dream about performing magic after many years of practice and performing.
Flying yes, and one that I have frequently is the fear of not graduating high school because I never
went to a trigonometry class and was having a final exam. Interesting topic.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2024, MeetMagicMike wrote:
In my dreams, I can never successfully do the trick. I just fumble with the cards. It seems to me that there is a part of the brain that knows the plot of the trick and a different part that knows the method. The part that knows the method isn't working when dreaming.

I'm a juggler but I also can't juggle in my dreams.

What is your experience when doing magic in a dream?

Mike:
I'm curious: at what age did you begin performing card tricks professionally?
Alex Core
View Profile
New user
Germany
8 Posts

Profile of Alex Core
Great topic!

Can not say for sure but I have once read something about REM Sleep and body motor functions that are tightly controlled and toned down so you don't act out on something you are dreaming.

I.e. running. Your brain is making sure you are not starting to run in your sleep. That is why we often dream about running and not actually getting anywhere. At least I do, lol.

Maybe its the same for sleight of hand.

Best
Alex
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives." - Carl Sagan
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
390 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
I don’t have the answer to the question. But somewhat similarly I have created effects in while dreaming.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
I'm curious: at what age did you begin performing card tricks professionally?

I started doing card magic professionally early 1980s. I was about 25.

Quote:
I don’t have the answer to the question. But somewhat similarly I have created effects in while dreaming.

A friend of mine told me he dreamed of an amazing method to make a card float above his hand. While dreaming he was astonished at how simple and practical it was and imagined he would market it and make fortune.

When he woke up he had a different feeling about the method. The metod was the card balanced on a metal spike through your hand.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
435 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I can't do card tricks in my dreams but I can play guitar like Eddie Van Halen.