The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Palm vs No Palm Card to Wallet (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Which one is better? Palmed card to wallet? Or Mullica Style Load?

Thanks!
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1024 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
It can be argued that since the Deck has to touch the wallet, the Mullica is the weaker method of the two, whereas palming methods avoid this.
While my preference is to use a Palm, the reality is that it does not make much of a difference in terms of audience reaction when (both) are done well.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
577 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Ed Oschman makes a good point when he states that as long as you perform the effect well, it doesn't matter which method you use. I love to palm cards and have always favored palming for the Card to Wallet effect.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2372 Posts

Profile of Doomo
There are of course other methods than these two.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don’t think it is about parking it not.

Start with your skill level. If you have an ability to prom convincingly, then you have choices.

The method is not relevant in the end. The routine is all that matters in the end. Both options are wonderful and effective.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst the Mullica is nice it's a huge wallet that looks a bit out of place, even the updated version released and advertised as a Hip Pocket Mullica is huge.

For that reason alone I prefer to use a palming ctw particularly the JOL wallets as you don't even need a slide with them and can load other things rather tan just cards.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Parking? Geeze how did I write that?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Grey
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, WA
51 Posts

Profile of Grey
I prefer to palm the card. As stated previously, the Mullica-style wallet tends to be be larger, and less is more IMHO. Do not fear the palm!
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Elliot 1927-1956
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1701 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I have a hunch the new Mullica wallet should have been a bit smaller[like the Paul Harris model] but came out the size it is by mistake.
The inner wallet is the correct size but the main wallet is too big.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As a style it is hard to deny wallets are getting much smaller. The Mullica seems pretty out of proportion and in a way almost absurd in the size.

As for palming I think it is a fundamental skill that should be learned. Completely independent of the card to wallet learn it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1701 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Yes I agree but man I loved when I saw Eugene Burger hold up his hand and say 'My hand is empty and in my back pocket is a wallet'' etc!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2024, Markymark wrote:
Yes I agree but man I loved when I saw Eugene Burger hold up his hand and say 'My hand is empty and in my back pocket is a wallet'' etc!

You do realize you can still do this right? Even with palming?

If you want to fool magicians with a Mullica Wallet here is how.

Control the card to the bottom. Bottom palm the card and still hold the deck. Do exactly as Eugene does, simultaneously (or at the same time, whichever you find easier.) set down the deck face up or hand it to someone if you are standing. Deck is now out of play and nobody is looking at it because you are going for the wallet. Finish exactly as you would if you had the deck. Load the card exactly as you would.

Deck never comes near the wallet, the hand is empty as can be going for the wallet. The audience can’t keep track of what is happening in each hand. So all seems incredibly fair. This can work for all audiences, but it is hardly necessary.

Just because it is a no palming “needed” wallet that doesn’t mean no palming is “allowed”.

You’re welcome.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
332 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Mullica style is not the only true no palm card to wallet, Shawn Farquhar has the C2W which is a nice compact no palm card to wallet that is fantastic !
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
UKNeil
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of UKNeil
I like both. I use the Mullica insert from The Worker's Dream wallet in an old fashioned wallet. Large Mullica style wallets CAN be justified if you use the right patter. In this example the large wallet with the Mullica insert "belonged to an old magician".
If it is palming the card then the Large JOL Plus wallet is as smooth as it gets.
Chamber of Wallets
http://www.chamberofwallets.com
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1701 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Thank's Danny.I have also used the 'Any wallet' gimmick from Jeff Kaylor with the Mullica but I had'nt thought of what you suggest.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Card to hip pocket wallet underwhelms me. Something about the small size of the wallet and the selection coming out of it doesn't look magical. I prefer the larger passport sized wallet with the zipper. It's more commanding and demands attention.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've seen both methods done extremely well. I prefer to palm because I find it easier to control angles and palming gives me the flexibility to improvise. It's a matter of what works best for you.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2024, Leo H wrote:
Card to hip pocket wallet underwhelms me. Something about the small size of the wallet and the selection coming out of it doesn't look magical. I prefer the larger passport sized wallet with the zipper. It's more commanding and demands attention.

I use a JOL hip wallet as my everyday wallet and even though it's small in size it still allows me to produce a card froma zippered compartment. That said I use my JOL EZ Wallet when at a paid gig.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2024, Markymark wrote:
I have a hunch the new Mullica wallet should have been a bit smaller[like the Paul Harris model] but came out the size it is by mistake.
The inner wallet is the correct size but the main wallet is too big.

I feel it was false advertising by Penguin Magic as I only purchased the wallet as I presumed it would be the same size as the original Hip Pocket Mullica, they could take half an inch off the insert wallet and two inches off the outer wallet and it would have been 100% more usable.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wal mart has the style, just gimmick it yourself. Maybe a $19 investment.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus