The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The tricks are on me! :: Advice on structuring a short show (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MiffleMoffle
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MiffleMoffle
Hi, my son is 12 and has been performing at nursing homes and school fairs. He usually just does a selection of his best tricks (most of which are card tricks) as a short show but he wants to make the set a bit more structured with tricks that link together. However, he has no idea where to start on this. Does anyone have any advice on how to put a short set together? He particularly likes triumph and permanent record and also often does linking rings and grandma's miracle. Any tips on tricks to link some of those? Many thanks for any advice you can give.
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
134 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
I've always done it through patter. In my case, making up funny reasons to switch to something completely different.

I like working with cards but my Uncle Buck said, "Can't you do anything else?"

Grin and say, "He didn't expect me to bring my rings."

After your ring routine, shake your head and say, "That Uncle Buck. He said, "Can't you do something a little less noisy?"

Hold up your fuzzy strings and beads. "I was ready for him with these."

I'll trust you and your son to come up with something better but you get the idea. Smile
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
MagicGamble
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MagicGamble
I love the, "but I know what you're thinking" transition. "But I know what your thinking, What if a volunteer tries to ruin my trick" then go into triumph. Or "but I know what youre thinking, what if I get pushed into the water and my cards are in my pocket" then go into linking rings.