The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Phoenix by Higar & Hanson Chien (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On May 11, 2024, spudster85 wrote:
Finally got it in hand and have had the opportunity to play around with and perform it a handful of times. Ultimately, my issue was while using a pen to push through, I could not get the hole to return and line up completely clean. I am not sure if it was the pen I was using or what. But, that led me down a different rabbit hole: keys. That led me to combining another effect, and making an entire bill puncture routine. I basically use the single bill to perform Ignition and Phoenix. First performing Ignition showing that the key passes through the bill. I then ditch what needs to be ditched from that effect and hand the key to the spec to handle, and inspect without saying inspect this key. I have them hold the key as described for Phoenix and then push it through. Pull it back out, repair the bill and hand it to the spectator. The spec is left holding two objects they can freely inspect. They end up not knowing where to look at all as the heat is equally divided between the two. They each end up becoming convincers for the opposite effect. The few times I have done this it has gotten fairly strong reactions! Most of all, that key produces a hole that lines back up cleanly. Problem solved!

I do agree my only concerns with these gimmicks are the repurchase price. I do hope over time there is a drop in price.

Just used my ignition key for the puncture and the restore was virtually seamless. I would have no problem handing it out for examination in low light (i.e. not sunlight). Loving this more every time I try using it. Anyone source refills yet?
SlipperySnake
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of SlipperySnake
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, threadman77 wrote:
It looks to me like you are doing exactly what you are doing - sticking the pieces back together. Can't imagine this will pass "close" scrutiny.

And again, whether or not you let them examine it, it still looks like you're doing exactly what you are doing.
It's not a magical wave or gesture over the bill. You are "working" to restore it! And it's pretty obvious what that work is!

You can restore a bill exactly the same way without the gimmick, and not hand it out. It will look exactly the same - like you just folded and pressed all the edges flat again, only now there is nothing to hold them together for a "quick" examination.

Copperfield doesn't look all that impressed to me.

I think he was stunned. Seemed to me like he wanted to purchase it all to himself... Just performed it with the Ignition key and the restoration is seamless. You don't need all the "working" to restore. Just a few rubs and then give it a blow and the thing is restored. Loving this!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2825 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I think magicians love this because it’s a newish method. But I think the effect on lay people is not that strong, actually. Because, as was pointed out earlier, it looks like you are doing what you are doing. That takes away the magical part and reduces it to more of a puzzle. A good puzzle, but nowhere near inexplicable.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
georgebd
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of georgebd
I have tried this having the spectator place a "magic" handkerchief over my hands while doing the necessary work - hiding that from sight. Then I ask them to touch the handkerchief with a magic wand, say some magic words, and then when they remove the handkerchief, the bill has been restored. It has gotten good reactions done this way.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2825 Posts

I can see why you did that. It also crossed my mind. But to me that’s not a very impressive trick either. It’s ok, but it lacks a WOW moment where the spectator is truly baffled. Just my 2 eurocents.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
georgebd
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of georgebd
Quote:
On May 11, 2024, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I can see why you did that. It also crossed my mind. But to me that’s not a very impressive trick either. It’s ok, but it lacks a WOW moment where the spectator is truly baffled. Just my 2 eurocents.

Well, I should have said I am just a hobbyist and have been performing this only for family and friends - and most have acted amazed. I have had fun with it and that's sort of how I judge these gimmicks.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7574 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 11, 2024, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I think magicians love this because it’s a newish method. But I think the effect on lay people is not that strong, actually. Because, as was pointed out earlier, it looks like you are doing what you are doing. That takes away the magical part and reduces it to more of a puzzle. A good puzzle, but nowhere near inexplicable.

There's torn and restored card tricks where the magician restores one tear in the card, Damage by Dave Forrest is a great version of this, which is very similar to this as you are restoring just one part of the item and it plays great. I think it comes down to your presentation and acting skills to sell the "magic" that's happening and wouldn't simply state that Phoenix wouldn't be magical for the spectators.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Georgebd makes any important point. Most members of the cafe perform mostly for family and friends and it is totally appropriate to judge tricks by success with those audiences and valuable for other when you let people know your primary audience.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of threadman77
[quote]On May 11, 2024, SlipperySnake wrote:
Quote:
Finally got it in hand and have had the opportunity to play around with and perform it a handful of times. Ultimately, my issue was while using a pen to push through, I could not get the hole to return and line up completely clean. I am not sure if it was the pen I was using or what. But, that led me down a different rabbit hole: keys. That led me to combining another effect, and making an entire bill puncture routine. I basically use the single bill to perform Ignition and Phoenix. First performing Ignition showing that the key passes through the bill. I then ditch what needs to be ditched from that effect and hand the key to the spec to handle, and inspect without saying inspect this key. I have them hold the key as described for Phoenix and then push it through. Pull it back out, repair the bill and hand it to the spectator. The spec is left holding two objects they can freely inspect. They end up not knowing where to look at all as the heat is equally divided between the two. They each end up becoming convincers for the opposite effect. The few times I have done this it has gotten fairly strong reactions! Most of all, that key produces a hole that lines back up cleanly. Problem solved!

I do agree my only concerns with these gimmicks are the repurchase price. I do hope over time there is a drop in price.

Brilliant idea - like you said - it divides the heat. I actually think there is more heat on the "ungimmicked" key now because the bill appears restored. I would take the bill back first, and let them go over the key a bit more.

You can also get away with using the same Phoenix gimmick at least twice.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2825 Posts

Quote:
On May 11, 2024, Xcath1 wrote:
Georgebd makes any important point. Most members of the cafe perform mostly for family and friends and it is totally appropriate to judge tricks by success with those audiences and valuable for other when you let people know your primary audience.

Oh absolutely! I fully agree. I am a professional stage performer but I hardly ever perform close-up professionally, mostly for friends and family. So I am in that same group. My point is that the moment the magic happens in this effect just doesn’t have the wow factor IMO, because of how long it takes and how it looks, i.e. like you are repairing a hole by sorta gluing it together. That’s not a very magical thing to watch IMO. I love a new method as much as anyone else here. But I don’t think this is all too impressive for lay people.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of threadman77
[quote]On May 11, 2024, threadman77 wrote:
Quote:
On May 11, 2024, SlipperySnake wrote:
Quote:

Brilliant idea - like you said - it divides the heat. I actually think there is more heat on the "ungimmicked" key now because the bill appears restored. I would take the bill back first, and let them go over the key a bit more.

You can also get away with using the same Phoenix gimmick at least twice.

I might even consider performing Phoenix first, and follow that with Ignition. The visual ripping through the bill with the key and then seeing it restored/unripped, puts all the heat on the key. Hand them the key and put the bill away.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
That’s how I’m planning on using Phoenix. Perform it first and let them briefly examine the bill, then take it back and perform something else with it. Maybe Ignition or Misled if I have more time. I do like the idea of changing it into a fake $100 at the end and letting them keep that.

If Phoenix is followed by another bill penetration I suspect some specs will be more inclined to believe the bill is actually torn or ripped the second time because they saw it ripped so clearly just a moment before.

I’ve never really viewed Phoenix as a stand alone effect, but rather part of a longer routine which gives them the opportunity to handle the bill but not inspect it endlessly.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of threadman77
I've used a few of my Phoenix gimmicks - the rest are for sale Smile
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2024, trickyat86 wrote:
I'm curious if someone learns the brand name of the refill material in the future. While I'm all for supporting the creator, spending almost $60 at theory11 (product, taxes, shipping) is a bit steep for 32 gimmicks (or 16 if you do the suggested tip from the tutorial).

How's 480 gimmicks for under $20 sound!

This effect does have merit....but I suspect the big boy price was instituted for a quick profit. NOBODY is going to perform this often and continue to pay almost $2 ($4 if you want a little confincer) evey time they perform it.

I'm all for repurposing stuff for magic.........but don't take advantage of people.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Have you figured the “secret” material threadman?
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
127 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I have located a product that I believe has all the same qualities and could be the "secret" material. However, reading spec sheets is nothing like seeing it for real and in person. I currently do not wish to spend on the endeavor to find it is not what is used. One has to purchase a semi hefty amount for what could be a complete loss.

I too just wish that the price would drop for refills, and that they become readily available. I fully wish to support a creator, but ultimately, the potential markup for this is insane. I think this will be the downfall of this product, in that not many performers can justify the per performance expense, despite how good it might be. I truly like this effect, and as I have described above, I have a killer routine. But, the limited use and expensive repurchase amount makes me land in this group of questioning justification.
threadman77
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of threadman77
Quote:
On May 13, 2024, Xcath1 wrote:
Have you figured the “secret” material threadman?

Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2825 Posts

Haha! That’s awesome.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3026 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I tried this out just for myself last night and I was able to get four uses out of one gimmick, using a key to put a fairly sizable hole in the bill. I gave the bill to my girlfriend and asked her to inspect it for anything funny, and she couldn't spot the gimmick. Granted she didn't see me puncture it so she didn't know what she was looking for, but she did a thorough check on both sides. It's pretty amazing how invisible it is and how easily it can be done.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings