The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: Is Derren Brown a Comedy Mentalist? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Of course all of us consider ourselves witty and pretty sharp, but do you consider Derren to actually be a Comedian or just moderately funny? Could he play a comedy club? Asking for a friend. Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Having some moments that are amusing, with some laughter, can contribute to the audience experience, but that is a long distance from an act that is essentially comedy.

George
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I certainly wouldn't consider him a comedy mentalist
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Being a stand up comedian, and being a variety performer capable of working an actual comedy club are two VERY different things. Ask your friend which they need confirmation bias on. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
322 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I would not consider Derren Brown to be a comedy mentalist. That's not to say there aren't funny moments in his shows but I don't think most would see his show and think it was any kind of comedy show.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Especially if considering LPMs as many comics, comedians and industry professionals do.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have the opportunity to play a comedy club. I think my laugh factor is about the sam as Derrens. I'm asking because we played this club as the Blues Brothers and even though it was 80% music we got enough laughs between songs to be invited back. I just wondered if the same would hold true for mentalism? I'd bet TC Tahoe would know. Smile Smile Smile Smile

Quote:
On Apr 18, 2024, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
Especially if considering LPMs as many comics, comedians and industry professionals do.

LPM is escaping me??? Your inbox is full... Smile Laughs per Minute????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lol, I tried to PM you and your box was also full. Here's what I said...

Yes, Laughs Per Minute. The best shoot for one laugh every 12 seconds or 5 a minute. I've headlined comedy clubs for years, and still produce and books clubs and comedy concerts and while LPM isn't the only criteria I consider it is a factor. The thing is there are different styles of comedy and some will not fit into the LPM format, such as storytelling comics vs. setup/punch lines or oneliner comics.

Its hard for a specialty act to transition to standup where the primary things must be the laughs. Best of luck!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks... I don't think it will be easy but I can't resist. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4712 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Measuring the entertainment factor of an act based on LPMs sounds like a prime example of Goodhart's Law.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You always challenge me to investigate!!!!! Smile
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
739 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I have never liked the Laughs per Minute idea. Forget lines, tricks, and LPM. It’s not about that; it’s never been about that. It is and always has been about the performer’s connection to the audience.
Is Derren Brown a comedy magician? I don’t think of him as one, and I would doubt he does either. He is an entertainer who uses comedy as one of his tools.
Just my thunks.
Also, yes, Philemon Vanderbeck, it is a great example of Goodhart's Law.

Dave, just be you.
TC Tahoe - The Intuitionist
The 33rd Most Interesting Man in the World
http://www.tctahoe.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
I perform stage and close up. My laughs are audience participation based. They create the moments and I extend them. I don't knock the participant or put them down, we laugh together. My Magician friend is comedy but from structured one liners. Not as good in my opinion. It gets annoying sometimes.

I think I could play a comedy club.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
A mentalism act without good humour, charm and a little wit would be very dull indeed. I find some mentalists approach to their shows very dry. I'm not sure I'd like to see a comedy mentalist particularly, but I'd sure prefer it if the performer could engage the audience with his personality rather than some repetitive, boring monologues about the human psyche.

Bob Cassidy was hilarious, but I wouldn't say he was comedic. Max Maven's persona had a kind of camp theatricality about it that was very amusing.

Derren is a very sharp and witty guy, but he chooses to play it down. I can guarantee that he and Andy Nyman spend half their time rolling with laughter as they work on shows together. One could argue that Derren could well be a comedian, but has chosen to act the part of a more serious mentalist. I wonder if, when working on his persona and format for the original TV series, that he and Andy decided to mute Derren's fun side and go for a more serious approach. It certainly paid off, and I wonder if Derren finds it arduous at times having to keep a straight face.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think I'll book my act into a Comedy club. Let's find out!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile