The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: ALWAYS buy from the originator? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Well, I bought a handsome prop for about $150 from TCC n China, but before it ever arrived here in KY I decided to return it. So, I took it to the PO, who told me it would cost about t170 to ship it back.

I emailed TCC, adn a staffer said "I think" one can return it via a California address he gave me. I took the chance and mailed it there for $26, without much assurance that it would reach TCC, that I would get some store credit etc.

Here is the issue. Many of us value buying a book, effect, or prop from the creator rather than a retail outlet. I still plan to continue that with North American creators. But with the serious rise in international shipping costs, I am wondering how far that policy should extend.

I'd appreciate the community's thoughts.

George
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
321 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Buy from the retailer you are comfortable with (price, value, support, shipping, return policy, etc...)

That may mean supporting a creator directly or supporting them indrectly through your favorite vendor. Either way is a win for magic!

That said, I do like to support a creator directly when it makes sense for me to do so logistically and cost wise...
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
587 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
I just sold a rare deck of playing cards to a woman in England. I am from the US. Shipping costs from the USP, USPS, and Fed Ex ALL were approximately the same; $145! I looked online and people recommended "Pirate Ship." It is legitimate, but there were hidden charges.
1. The cost to ship seemed to be only $48.
2. When the box (6"x 6" and less than a pound in weight, I was charged an additional 8.40.
3. I found out that to accept the deck, the person had to pay the UK an additional $50 for import duties and taxes!
The buyer was willing to pay whatever for the deck, but the process and costs are ridiculous!

I will no longer be shipping outside the US. Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
It's an extremely sad situation. I've been working on a project but it would require shipping something from the UK to the USA. The person I envisioned working on this project is extremely good at his work but these shipping costs are going to force me to seek someone here in the states. I do have some friends who do it here but it's not their forte so to speak. SAD TIMES!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2020 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Looks like my process with TCC ends very positively. I sent TCC the tracing number for the package I sent to the recommended address in California. TCC wrote back, reporting that they were in the -process of restoring the full purchase price to my credit card. I am, of course, out the cost of shipping to California, but TCC showed they want good customer relations. Though I do not return products very often (this was only my second), I will probably buy from a North American shop from now on..

George
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So is this a new thing or has it always cost money to ship things internationally?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell