The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: What do they call the hinge connectors? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Zack
You know the connectors they use to hold illusions together? They look like hinges, but not connected, and then you drop a pin through them to connect them. I thought they were called "cotter pins", but that seems to be something else. I want to get some, but I'm not sure what to search for.
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
They are loose pin hinges. The hinge package will specify fixed pin or loose pin.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
We always called them Blackstone pins and made them from a piece of coat hanger. The loose hinge pin type is what you want and the easier to remove.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I used loose pin hinges on all my equipment that could be disassembled. They were great on my tables. I did change the pins however from the ones that came with the hinges to pins like these which you can get in any hardware store. The "L" shaped pin makes it easy to add and remove.

https://triplee.ltd/products/the-original-loose-pin-hinge/
Where the magic begins
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2024, Dave Scribner wrote:
I used loose pin hinges on all my equipment that could be disassembled. They were great on my tables. I did change the pins however from the ones that came with the hinges to pins like these which you can get in any hardware store. The "L" shaped pin makes it easy to add and remove.

https://triplee.ltd/products/the-original-loose-pin-hinge/

An old theatrical touring trick is to use heavy wire as the pin. That way you can bend both ends of it and it won't fall out when you least expect it.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I so love this part of The Cafe. I learn so much. Never knew about Loose Pin Hinges, but they make so much sense.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.