The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: If You Had To Start Over Again... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
We have many discussions here that eventually get on the topic of things we wished we had learned earlier, to things I wish I knew when I started, or if I knew then what I know now, and so on. So may times in the performing business we find ourselves having to go back and start something over, or redo something we didn't do, over looked, or simply buzzed over as it didn't seem important at the time.

I recently accepted a new coaching student who is in the beginning stages of becoming a magician and performer. Of course in our onboarding process he completed our application which among many other things asks for his top 5 things he/she wants assistance with, wants to accomplish, needs assistance on, the roadblocks he/she is experiencing, problems areas he/she is having trouble understanding, or similar things he/she is seeking to accomplish.

In usual form, what he mentioned or thinks he wants is actually quite different from what he really wants and actually needs. This will be demonstrated as we proceed.

We've all been there as it is typically the same for each of us. But in a nice, welcomed twist, after completing the questions he asked me "What do most people get wrong, miss, or realize that they would do differently if they had to go back to the beginning and start all over again? What do you feel I need to know?" I thought this was a very intelligent question for a teen magician. Very wise and thoughtful.

Of course my answers to this question are quite jaded because I know what he doesn't yet know. I see what so many have wrong or incorrect. I deal with this with students every day, so I know exactly what my answers are on this, but it had me wondering what the workers here would think and say about this? So I thought it could be a good topic of discussion as I'm sure some things will apply across the board yet others may be quite different and unique.

So let me pose the question to the workers here, part or full-time... If you had to start your magic and/or performing business all over again, what do you now know that you didn't back then, what would you do differently, what were the greatest setbacks you incurred, and were the things that you had to go back and do over, correct, add or restart in your business? What were the hardest lessons to learn?

I hope this leads to a very insightful discussion!
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
If I were able to start all over again I would have focused more time, learning and energy on the business side of the industry. We all spend a great deal of time and money learning to perform magic but not nearly enough on the business side. That is taking for granted you have a marketable show. As a part time performer for many years I have just recently branched out with a new show marketed to the public here in Florida. The show itself is doing well but the challenge is advertising and marketing the show to the public. Starting over again I would first set forth a business plan with attainable and realistic goals. I would seek out mentors and guidance from those who have done this and have the experience and wisdom to instruct and guide. I am sure I left out many other things but I hope this gets the conversation moving in the right direction. Thank you Mindpro.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2024, drmagico wrote:
If I were able to start all over again I would have focused more time, learning and energy on the business side of the industry.

Yeah, I must say this is the #1 thing I tend to hear the most from most entertainers when looking back and thinking and reflectinfg about how they would do things differently if they had to do it all over again.

What many didn't realize back then is learning the business side also has a great impact on your performance approach, material and learning. Many don't realize that these two must work so together and be congruent at all times for optimal results.

I actually a few years back had a new coaching student who heard me say this at a lecture I was doing as he was just starting out. It made sense to him even though he didn't completely understand it. We worked together and he very quickly found out that it shaved years off of his learning and becoming market-ready to sell and book his performances. So much of one's first 4-7 years are spent on learning the magic (mechanics), yet by the time they get to the point of going to market for bookings they quickly realize so much of what they spent so much time on initially in the first 4-7 years they weren't even using by the time they went to market. To learn this and eliminate this and prevent this was a huge eyeopener for him. He felt he was doing it right from the beginning making everything streamlined and positioning himself for booking success and revenue much quicker.

I think that is the biggest woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Yes, thanks for this, as this does help get this conversation started as I hope others will take a minute to reflect and share their experience as well. Because entertainment business is my area of specialty I'm sure I think about this and deal with this much more than others in an attempt to share and help others with this. If this thread continues I will add some of my own other insights as well as I think we can all learn from this and help other newbies and up and comers. Thanks drmagico!
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
823 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
My redo would to have just started preforming sooner. That is I would just do a few shows here and there, but didn't really try to get the shows. I got all my bookings from word of mouth. I kept thinking I didn't have a good show. Turns out I did. After watching magicians at amusement parks, my wife keep telling me that I had a better show. I didn't really believe her, but I now know she wasn't just trying to build me up.

So for me I was always afraid to start because of the high standards that I wanted to have, but I didn't know I was already there.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1788 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Mindpro could you send me a link to your ebook on using booking sites, thanks in advance.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would change nothing. I have been fortunate and am grateful. I’d never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks for the responses guys. I think it is interesting to hear perspectives and takeaways upon reflection.

tboehnlein, I PMd you the information.
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
334 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Two things... the first issue has already been mentioned (focus more on the second word in 'Show Business') and the second is related to that -- don't quit your day job too soon. I dropped out of school (with GED) to perform full time and because of the first issue (among other things), I was always struggling to pay rent, etc., and finally burned out and gave up performing for a long time. If 16-year old me would have listened to old me (and I had a time machine) I would have pounded home the idea of "get a f'ing job and do your magic in your off-time!" and I know that would have made a huge difference in my life.
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks for sharing Jay! I am currently seeing a strong trend of guys, similar to you, in that they did performing as a teen and young adult (in their 20s), and for many, marriage, kids, and financial responsibilities caused them to work more traditional jobs and careers and put their magic away. Then, many years later in their 40s, 50s, 60s, or even in retirement have decided to revisit magic/performing and are enjoying it now more than ever. I am seeing this quite a lot to the point of it even being a trend.

Like most I am hearing from, the number one area, like you, was learning more on the business side of performing. I've noticed a combination of both of the things you've said in my current coaching newcomers and inquiries as they aren't guys in their 20s or 30s, but older performers coming back into performing again yet realizing they need to learn and attack the business side of things most seriously. I'm finding their business and performing goals are more defined and therefore, with the right education and/or training, are more obtainable, more quickly.