The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Isolation by Michael Murray Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
I purchased this as an ebook, so I can't speak to any of the extras that come with the physical copy of the book.

This is an excellent book, so if you are remotely interested in the kind of process that is associated with reading a person's thoughts as they think of a playing card, then stop reading and get Murray's text.

The system Murray has developed is clever and workable. It requires some slight memorization, but nothing too taxing. If you simply remembered, understood, and applied the system as Murray has written it, then you will easily be able to have someone think of a random playing card, and you will be able to tell them which one they are thinking about.

However, the genius of this book is the many ideas that Murray adds on to the system. There are so many ways to further disguise the already fairly invisible process that you need to work through to know what they are thinking of.

As an amateur, social magician many of these ideas are worth their weight in gold as they allow the system to appear even more casual than it already is.

Additionally, while Murray has applied his system to playing cards, he also lays down the groundwork for how to apply the system to anything. The only "requirement" is that you can break the information needed to determine a thought into two categories (value, suit for example). Murray suggests that the information include a number component, but I don't think this is necessary once you really understand what is happening in the system.

You wouldn't want to repeat this to the same person since that would expose what is happening, so if you only perform for a few of the same people then you would want to make this a special occasion kind of experience.

Murray presents an interesting, creative system of gathering information on a playing card in this book. Once you understand the system, you can apply it to a whole hose of other types of information and create interesting presentations around the system. Highly recommended.