The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Level Up by Craig Petty (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, johndevacmaker wrote:
Looks good but agree with Jack bit pricey

Agree, I would just get Flipbalm if you're looking for a transposition effect using something different other than coins. Much cheaper.

Fliibalm is great (I was so proud to be involved in that project). However it’s a paddle routine and mainly involves transpositions. This is more like a copper / silver coin set. It means there are more options for routines and in fact there are ten routines on the project and the majority don’t even use transpositions at all.

Glad you like Flip Balm though

Thanks

Apparently you have already forgotten the method used in Flipbalm which is funny since you did the tutorial. Actually Flipbalm is not a padded routine. The paddle move is not used at all. The method is a turtle $#//. Maybe I am mistaken, but I believe this uses the same method. And Flipbalm is a transposition routine exactly like a copper/ silver routine (exactly like Level Up). As a matter of fact, in the Flipbalm tutorial, the routine you say you do majority of the time is in fact just like a copper/ silver routine, just like you state in the Flipbalm tutorial? So not sure what you're saying?

Flipbalm - one flavor chapstick changes into another flavor from hand to hand, Level Up- one cartridge changes to a different game from hand to hand. Exactly the same effect! Both copper/silver.

Chapstick is a much more organic everyday carry item than a little plastic case of etendo (or whatever fake name you gave them) cartridges. Plus Flipbalm is over half the cost of what Level Up costs!

Everybody knows chapstick, not everybody knows small etendo cartridges.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Sorry, darn voice recognition...I meant Flip Balm is not a "paddle" routine, not padded, lol.....
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, Tschark86 wrote:
I don't think this release is for me, but I really have to say I love how open Craig is on here about his releases.
If every creator would answer as many questions about their releases that would prevent many purchases that end up in the bottom drawer.
And at the same time I would think this approach also pays off for the creators in the long run. Sure, some won't purchase the item in the first place, but those who do can do so with confidence and avoid disoppointment. Happy customers will most likely be returning customers.
I for one have not bought a ton of Craig's releases (about 5, I think), but when I did, I knew beforehand that I was buying stuff I was going to use and I loved all of them.

Well done (again), Craig! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I try to be transparent with all my releases. I truly want people to have their eyes wide open when buying something I have developed

Also it’s not a problem this isn’t for you. No magic trick is for everyone, ai totally get that. Perhaps a future project I release will tickle your fancy more

Thanks again
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, MagoMerlino wrote:
This looks brilliant like all stuff Craig releases ????
That said, I have a question: how do you justify bringing with you a set of Nintendo cartridges, since I am pretty sure you don't also bring with you Nintendo switch console as well ????

Thanks!
Francesco

Great question!

You can justify the use of these cartridges in a few different ways. First of all it’s worth noting that Magician generally carry around weird and wonderful stuff anyway. You don’t feel the need to justify a piece of rope, a crazy metal cup, little red sponge balls . Even a pack of cards is something most people do do not carry around with them. So you don’t really need to justify them if you don’t want to you can just bring them out and say you wanna do some magic with these game cartridges.

However, there are a few ways to justify them,

My favourite way is to tell people that I travel a lot with my job and typically will go on trains up and down the country performing at Events as such. I have a lot of free time when travelling and I always take my Nintendo switch with me. It means that if I have a spare five minutes backstage or while on a train, I can just relax before my gig. Bring out the cartridges and say that these are some of my favourite games. Some of them they might have seen before some of them they might not have but as I have them on me, I’m gonna try and do something strange with a couple of these different game cartridges.

Another way to justify them is to talk about a child in your life a presentation I like using is saying that my son challenged me the other day to perform Magic with a game cartridge from his Nintendo switch. I sat there all day trying to come up with something that I could show him and it ended up being pretty cool and I want to show you that same thing right now. This is a great way of presenting it and really makes the trick personal to you as well.

One of the routines on the project involves bringing out two packets of cards. One has different items on it that a magician might use in a magic trick. The other packet has different magical effects that a magician might try and accomplish. I have a person pic from one packet and they pick game cartridge. I have three people pick from the other packet and they pick appearance, change and vanish. I then say right I’m gonna have to try and do these three things with a game cartridge. I then use the gimmicks in the set to make a cartridge appear, change into another cartridge and then vanish.

There are lots of other justifications on the project but these are perfect examples of the way that you can go with this

Does that answer your question?
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Have anybody received the trick and comment on quality of the props?
MagoMerlino
View Profile
New user
Rome
9 Posts

Profile of MagoMerlino
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, MagoMerlino wrote:
This looks brilliant like all stuff Craig releases ????
That said, I have a question: how do you justify bringing with you a set of Nintendo cartridges, since I am pretty sure you don't also bring with you Nintendo switch console as well ????

Thanks!
Francesco

Great question!

You can justify the use of these cartridges in a few different ways. First of all it’s worth noting that Magician generally carry around weird and wonderful stuff anyway. You don’t feel the need to justify a piece of rope, a crazy metal cup, little red sponge balls . Even a pack of cards is something most people do do not carry around with them. So you don’t really need to justify them if you don’t want to you can just bring them out and say you wanna do some magic with these game cartridges.

However, there are a few ways to justify them,

My favourite way is to tell people that I travel a lot with my job and typically will go on trains up and down the country performing at Events as such. I have a lot of free time when travelling and I always take my Nintendo switch with me. It means that if I have a spare five minutes backstage or while on a train, I can just relax before my gig. Bring out the cartridges and say that these are some of my favourite games. Some of them they might have seen before some of them they might not have but as I have them on me, I’m gonna try and do something strange with a couple of these different game cartridges.

Another way to justify them is to talk about a child in your life a presentation I like using is saying that my son challenged me the other day to perform Magic with a game cartridge from his Nintendo switch. I sat there all day trying to come up with something that I could show him and it ended up being pretty cool and I want to show you that same thing right now. This is a great way of presenting it and really makes the trick personal to you as well.

One of the routines on the project involves bringing out two packets of cards. One has different items on it that a magician might use in a magic trick. The other packet has different magical effects that a magician might try and accomplish. I have a person pic from one packet and they pick game cartridge. I have three people pick from the other packet and they pick appearance, change and vanish. I then say right I’m gonna have to try and do these three things with a game cartridge. I then use the gimmicks in the set to make a cartridge appear, change into another cartridge and then vanish.

There are lots of other justifications on the project but these are perfect examples of the way that you can go with this

Does that answer your question?

Hello Craig, yes it absolutely does, and thanks for spending the time to reply in such an accurate way.
However, my plan B is to steal (I mean borrow !!!!) my son's Nintendo Switch!

Cheers!
Francesco
Rog99
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Rog99
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, Rog99 wrote:
What a great idea. Updating a classic with a modern look and feel. Big congrats.

One question. Nintendo are very protective of their IP. Has this product been cleared with them? I would hate to take these to a pro gig and come across a Nintendo exec, only for them to take issue.

This question was ignored, so I'm guessing it is an issue?
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4324 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, Rog99 wrote:
Quote:
What a great idea. Updating a classic with a modern look and feel. Big congrats.

One question. Nintendo are very protective of their IP. Has this product been cleared with them? I would hate to take these to a pro gig and come across a Nintendo exec, only for them to take issue.

I believe the game chip does not actually spell Nintendo so there should be no problem. Also, I don't think a Nintendo executive would be that small-minded to say something. Actually, the executive might even be flattered that you are using one of their gaming chips as part of a magic routine. IMHO.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1064 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, Joshua J wrote:
Apologies if these questions come off as a bit blunt, just getting my head around it as a release. I think it could be a fun piece for families.

You refer to them as an alternative to coins. How well do they handle for doing traditional coin techniques? With them having the rectangular shape and having a set direction does this cause issues? Lighter props affect handling? You've said it's got the three cartridges and one gimmicked, so traditional coin routines like coins across probably not possible. Can we have a little more detail on the effects? You can see the changes on the trailer, what else? I'm thinking in terms of them being a utility item and what else you can create with them or is it largely the routines seen and variations?

The switch 2 is on the way next year. During your research have you heard anything about the cartridges? Rumours were for new ones or no cartridges, but I haven't really looked at details since they announced the new one coming.

What's the size of the case? pocket space obviously being a consideration. It'd be a bit odd carrying games around to a professional engagement unless it is quite small.

Sorry if they come across as quite blunt questions. I can see this as something that people can have a bit of fun with, but just wanted a little detail.

Some great questions there and I don’t think you are being too blunt at all. Let me see if I can give you some answers

1. They actually are easier to handle than coins. Because they are rectangular if you want to do a classic palm it’s a lot easier. Also because they aren’t metal if you want to have two coins in palm (for example) there is no clinking noise

2. You can actually do coins across. The really cool thing is the cartridges look the same on one side and different on the other. If you wanted to do a traditional coins across with the three regular cartridges you could. Just turn them face down and perform the routine. Also if you need more regular cartridges use other real switch games. You can get old switch games for a couple of bucks now second hand and so you can buy other cartridges to perform any standard coin routines (assuming you don’t have any already)

3. In essence the gimmicked cartridge is a copper / silver gaff built into a switch cartridge. This allows you to do WAY more than just transpositions (although it’s perfect for a Transpo routine because everything is examinable before and after and it’s easy to do). Some of the other routines of the project include mentalism routines, predictions, wild coin style routines, coins across, anniversary waltz type routines, hopping half style routines to name a few. It’s a really varied selection of routines and all of them are ready to go out the case provided

4. I looked into the Switch 2 and it’s quite a long way off but the general consensus is that it will allow cartridges as they want it to be backwards compatible. However even if that’s not the case people will still be used the original Switch for years after and everyone will still know what the cartridges are. Remember how popular retro gaming is. I don’t see an issue with this to be honest

5. It’s very small. I spent a long time finding the perfect case. It will literally fit into your top pocket (shirt or jacket). I normally keep it in my back pocket with a deck of cards. You don’t need to use the case but I think it makes everything look more legit

Hope that covers everything but if not please let me know

Thanks

Cheers for the response. Interested to see the reviews on this one. It would be a purchase more for my own, and family, amusement more than one for my working repertoire. I do more bizarre and mentalism. So as something more to have fun with the price is a bit high for that, but I can see if it suited your performance style it could pay itself back if you did things like table hooping, restaurants, etc.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
Quote:

While Craig didn't reply directly, someone else did: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......art=20#4

Although I don't have it myself (yet), I do agree that the pictures don't say "Nintendo" on them, nor are the shown games real ones.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I’m a little busy at the moment. I’m trying to reply to as many questions as possible but unfortunately I have other things to do as well. Apologies if you think I’m ignoring any questions.

To answer the question Penguin have a very robust legal dept. There are effects I have worked on with them that we have had to shelve as we couldn’t work out a way around copyright issues. This was cleared by their legal team so I cannot see any issues at all. The cartridges say something slightly different to Nintendo. In hundreds of performances this has never been noticed at all for a variety of reasons I go into on the tutorial. However if you want to you can make up your own labels quite easily

Does that help?
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2024, tonsofquestions wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

While Craig didn't reply directly, someone else did: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......art=20#4

Although I don't have it myself (yet), I do agree that the pictures don't say "Nintendo" on them, nor are the shown games real ones.

You are correct on both counts. There are hundreds if not thousands of games for the Switch. It is almost impossible for one person to know every game that’s ever been made. The games sound like legit games and this is never noticed as you can see on the project when you watch the multiple live hours of performance.

Hope that helps
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2024, RNK wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2024, johndevacmaker wrote:
Looks good but agree with Jack bit pricey

Agree, I would just get Flipbalm if you're looking for a transposition effect using something different other than coins. Much cheaper.

Fliibalm is great (I was so proud to be involved in that project). However it’s a paddle routine and mainly involves transpositions. This is more like a copper / silver coin set. It means there are more options for routines and in fact there are ten routines on the project and the majority don’t even use transpositions at all.

Glad you like Flip Balm though

Thanks

Apparently you have already forgotten the method used in Flipbalm which is funny since you did the tutorial. Actually Flipbalm is not a padded routine. The paddle move is not used at all. The method is a turtle $#//. Maybe I am mistaken, but I believe this uses the same method. And Flipbalm is a transposition routine exactly like a copper/ silver routine (exactly like Level Up). As a matter of fact, in the Flipbalm tutorial, the routine you say you do majority of the time is in fact just like a copper/ silver routine, just like you state in the Flipbalm tutorial? So not sure what you're saying?

Flipbalm - one flavor chapstick changes into another flavor from hand to hand, Level Up- one cartridge changes to a different game from hand to hand. Exactly the same effect! Both copper/silver.

Chapstick is a much more organic everyday carry item than a little plastic case of etendo (or whatever fake name you gave them) cartridges. Plus Flipbalm is over half the cost of what Level Up costs!

Everybody knows chapstick, not everybody knows small etendo cartridges.

You are right! I working on extra routines for Flipbalm at the moment to be added to the project and I was thinking about those

I actually created the idea of the Flipbalm gimmick being used for a Transpo and using doffeeent coloured chap sticks. Before I was involved in the project that wasn’t even a thing that was done with the gimmick. And as I said I love Flipbalm, Seth is a genius.

The point is was trying to make is that the cartridges used in Level Up are smaller, they are more coin sized. It means there are more possibilities. Also the angles are more friendly because you aren’t using a shell. It opens up more possibilities. It’s why there are ten routines with Level Up, there is more that you can do. Basically anything you can do with a copper / silver coin you can do with these.

I hope I’ve made more sense now

Thanks
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1988 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Has anyone picked this up ?

As previously stated I think this looks good but with the lack of reviews

I wonder if Penguin did price this too high !
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2381 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey everyone.

I’ve made a video going through everything that is included in Level Up.

I tried to answer all the questions that were brought up on The Cafe as well as showing the gimmicks and explaining how they are used. I have also included some live unedited performances as part of the video as well

I believe in people buying my products with their eyes wide open. As there were a lot of questions about this release it seemed that this was the best way to cover everything. Like I say in the video Level Up is not for everyone but I think anyone who picks it up will be really happy

Any questions please let me know.

Here’s the link to the video

Level Up EXPOSED

https://youtu.be/C0djDcFKml4