The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: A very clean card location (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Here’s a new effect that hit the market just recently: https://www.lybrary.com/double-miracle-p-926422.html

The creator shared it with me a while back, it’s a card location and divination performed with a borrowed deck. There’s a performance video and a description included in the link above. I’ve also posted the description and performance video below:

“Imagine:

The magician introduces a deck of cards. The spectator can thoroughly examine it, after which they can freely shuffle it for as long as they want in any way that they want.

Once they're done shuffling, the magician invites them to look through the deck (faces towards themself, backs towards the magician) and select any two cards that they like. Let's suppose they select the two black A's. They turn these face-up and leave them on the table.

Next, the magician instructs the spectator to select another card - this time without looking through the deck. So the spectator pulls out a random face down card. The magician tells them not to look at this card yet - it will be a mystery for the end. They are then asked to sandwich the unknown card between the two face-up black A's. With that done, the magician tells them to bury the trio anywhere inside the deck - the magician looks away as they do so. Finally, they are asked to give the deck as many complete cuts as they want so even they don't know where the trio ends up.

After all that, the magician turns back around, takes the deck from the spectator, and immediately brings it behind his back. (Alternatively, the spectator can place the deck behind the magician's back into his hands while he's still looking away.) Whilst holding the deck behind his back, the magician explains that he has an uncanny ability where he can find face-up cards without being able to see any of the cards. He explains that he will find the unknown selection by feeling for where the two face-up cards are. Furthermore, the magician explains that he has a second uncanny ability where just by touching a card he can reveal what it is.

The magician claims that he's found the unknown card and slowly begins to reveal its color, its suit, and finally its value. He claims it's the 9D (for example).

Finally, the magician brings out the deck in one hand and the selection in the other hand. The spectator turns over the selection and it is indeed the 9D. Then, the spectator spreads through the rest of the deck and sees that the face down card is missing from between the two black A's, proving that the card the magician located behind his back is indeed their selection!

Some important conditions of note:

-The effect uses a regular deck of cards (which could even be borrowed).

-There are no gimmicks of any kind in play - this is 100% impromptu. Aside from the borrowed deck, nothing is used.

-From the moment the spectator shuffles the deck to the moment they lose the trio inside the deck, the magician doesn't touch the cards. He especially doesn't touch the two face-up selections and the unknown selection.

-This method works even if all the cards in the deck are perfectly straight (without any natural bends) - this is to rule out one possible method that some people may have thought of when reading the description above.”

Performance video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jTNJhQNn28......mb_title
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Wait, the magician finds a card and claims that it's the one I picked but never saw? And his proof is that it's no longer between the black aces? I think I'll pass.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2024, Frank Yuen wrote:
Wait, the magician finds a card and claims that it's the one I picked but never saw? And his proof is that it's no longer between the black aces? I think I'll pass.

Not necessarily the two black aces but any two cards the spectator chooses, but yes that’s the effect. It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but spectators seem to enjoy it a lot from the few times I’ve performed it. So that’s that
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
This is SOOOO extremely simple to reverse engineer. It took me less than 5 minutes when I saw the performance video. All the conditions listed above are accurate. Personally, I think this should be sold at around $7 or less because of how simple it is.
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Didn't Harry Lorayne show this method of impromptu breather using a bowed deck of cards on his DVD series of Best Ever Collection? (can't recall exact volume?) Maybe this trick uses a different way of finding the cards under the table?
UnbiasedMagicReviews
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of UnbiasedMagicReviews
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2024, markymarkmagicuk wrote:
Didn't Harry Lorayne show this method of impromptu breather using a bowed deck of cards on his DVD series of Best Ever Collection? (can't recall exact volume?) Maybe this trick uses a different way of finding the cards under the table?

It's SOOO much simpler than that. No prep of any sort is required. You don't even need to touch the deck until after the spectator has done all the work. The idea is so simple that it does demand respect.
YouTube & Instagram - UnbiasedMagicReviews
I buy/review magic to help you make better decisions
Unbiased The Definitive ACAAN -The BEST Ungimmicked ACAAN - https://youtu.be/YtAAETDIouA
JerryMN
View Profile
New user
UK
59 Posts

Profile of JerryMN
I love this, it's simplicity is part of it's brilliance - and it's a total fooler for a general audience. Anything that can be done impormptu with a borrowed deck is always worth adding to the armoury, I just think it's a really cool idea and a nice visual effect.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2024, markymarkmagicuk wrote:

The last condition in the ad copy above eliminates this method:

“This method works even if all the cards in the deck are perfectly straight (without any natural bends) - this is to rule out one possible method that some people may have thought of when reading the description above”
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
305 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Then hats off to the inventor, it must be very clever. I didn't see the part about straight cards. However, the Lorayne method achieves the exact same outcome.
Although this trick has a clever method I've never liked tricks whereby I have to turn my back on the audience or fumble under the table!!!
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3352 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
This is a clever effect that I have enjoyed performing the last week or so. Is the method simple to execute? Yes. Does that equate to not being a worthy effect? No, to the contrary, it is a fooler, even if a magician is able to backtrack it. I for one was unable to do this. The reason being is that my mind went to crimps, breathers etc. The beauty is from a borrowed shuffled deck, you can immediate perform this at any time, at any place. It is always nice to have an effect such as this release in your arsenal.
Recommended!
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
472 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Having watched the performance video . The method made me smile , wish I had thought of it .

There are a few changes I would make .

To be able to name the face up cards as well would add to the effect and away to reduce the time under the table or behind the back .

You lose the borrowed deck aspect but then I never go around asking to borrow a deck .

A good effect to pull out at the right time

Andrew
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The method is simple and easy to reverse-engineering for magicians, but I believe it has more to it than meets the eye as you can easily locate the selected card.

Here’s a possible handling:

1. Use only half the deck to speed up the process.

2. A spec shuffles the half-deck and chooses a card that they look at and leave face down between a face-up pair. The trio is buried in the half-deck.

3. Process the half-deck under the table and bring up a card that you leave face down. Don’t name it, but let the audience understand that it’s the spectator’s card.

4. Spread the deck on the table to show that the selection has disappeared from within the face-up pair.

5. Gather or shuffle the half-deck while the spectator looks at the face-down card.

6. The spectator announces your failure.

7. Play dejected and switch their card for the correct one.

8. Ask them to name their card and reveal that you got it right.

Of course, you can play it anyway you want, like palming the selection and taking it out of a pocket etc. The point is that, if you think about it, at (4.) you know where the selection lies in the spread. Also, you could perform the original effect and carry on with the one I described above. The method is the same and totally impromptu.
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
For anyone interested, UnbiasedMagicReviews posted a review yesterday: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgmp2FFLlY
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
I have bought the pdf and I think the method is devious and great.

Could someone help me with the process behind the back? Is there a way to do that in a reliable way? Please PM me.
What would a real mindreader do?
TopRabbit13
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of TopRabbit13
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2024, ipe wrote:

Could someone help me with the process behind the back? Is there a way to do that in a reliable way? Please PM me.

On Lybrary.com you can see the email address of the author if you click his profile. You can reach out to him there
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1184 Posts

Profile of Chris
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2024, ipe wrote:

Use the secret forum on Lybrary.com to connect with other customers of this product and possibly the author. This is the perfect place for such questions. If you do not know what the secret forum is, or how to access it see FAQ 16 on the Lybrary.com website.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
ipe
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of ipe
TopRabbit13, Chris, thank you, I will do that.
What would a real mindreader do?