The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Renewed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Hi.

Somehow I remembered my login details by Googling a question that I happened to ask several years ago. Unfortunately, ALL of my effects, DVDs, props and books I had collected over the years got stolen. The sad part is I know the kind of criminal won't know what to do with what they have taken. I have lost several $100 of collections. I can never recover, since the ZAR and USD exchange rate is worse now that it was when I started collecting in 2008.

Any advice to things available in a PDF (or even DVD downloads) please let me know. Here is a list of the "top" ones (this excludes the SOS bag and Q&A from
Osterlind):

Spongeball Toolbox w/DVD - Trick????21.38
Card Miracles Ammar- #1, DVD??30.14
Card Miracles Ammar- #2, DVD??30.14
Card Miracles Ammar- #3, DVD??30.14
Coin Magic Made Easy Roth- #1, DVD??30.14
Coin Magic Made Easy Roth- #2, DVD??30.14
Coin Magic Made Easy Roth- #3, DVD??32.68

Page Thumb Tips Patrick Page- #1, DVD?????9.38

World's Greatest Magic - Stand-Up Volume One by L&L Publishing - DVD

Psi Series Banachek- #1, DVD??26.21
R. Osterlind Mind Mysteries (Breakthru Card Sys.)- #2, DVD??26.21
R. Osterlind Mind Mysteries (More Assort. Myst.)- #4, DVD???26.21
Richard Osterlind Mind Mysteries Too - #7, DVD

I have a question though. If I want to learn how to play piano from a reputable YouTuber who puts in effort in their productions, could this also apply to a magician who teaches magic on his channel (not just a "magic revealed" kind of thing).
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
Hudson52Sleights
View Profile
New user
Australia, Brisbane
23 Posts

Profile of Hudson52Sleights
I can answer the question you have. You can definitely learn magic from a youtuber. That's how I started and you can learn quite a bit.
krnlwolf
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of krnlwolf
Thanks. I love the diary effect (the date shows the exact selected card). If anyone knows where this effect can be purchased, let me know. For some reason Harry Lorraine's name comes to mind.

I also remember a lot of what I learned from way back when, but it is the subtleties that ellude me. However, the more performances I watch the more I remember about performing it.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2024, Hudson52Sleights wrote:
I can answer the question you have. You can definitely learn magic from a youtuber. That's how I started and you can learn quite a bit.

I would disagree with this. You may be able to learn the mechanics of tricks from a youtuber, but you will not learn the magic from them.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2024, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

I would disagree with this. You may be able to learn the mechanics of tricks from a youtuber, but you will not learn the magic from them.

It's nice when I can completely agree with Mindpro Smile It is even doubtful that one can learn magic from video at all. Tricks, yes. Sleights, maybe. Audience engagement - nope.

If you do not understand the "why of things," creating conditions where magic is impossible in the mind of observers is difficult.

Of course, if you only intend on performing on youtube, it might be perfect.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
Thanks for all the feedback. I used to go by the stage name "Vernesto". Definitely want to make a comeback, but with the benefit of age comes wisdom - oh and I am a high school teacher, so the last thing I want to do is "show tricks" - that much I have learned and won't soon forget. The "diary" effect has always been a favourite of mine, but even though I know the "how to", the real secret goes a lot deeper than just showing off a bunch of tricks.

Any books (preferably downloadable) that you recommended on "performing" mentalism (with magic as an ice breaker) Smile
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"
Hudson52Sleights
View Profile
New user
Australia, Brisbane
23 Posts

Profile of Hudson52Sleights
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2024, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

Come to think of it, I think your right. It is possible to learn card mechanics on youtube, but not the magic itself.