The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All in the cards :: Prediction style self working card tricks (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
712 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Marty, this is very, very similar to the Harry Lorayne Prediction effect I mentioned in my first post; cool to see that it is that old!
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I believe the mathematical principle is even older than Pinetti, in fact! However, his book is one of the first in English to describe the underlying mathematics.

Yes, it is essentially the same trick. Harry's "Prediction" is a tremendous full-deck handling of the principle. However, I don't like the limited choice of cards (four of ten) used to get the bottom card in the correct position. By utilising a 33-card "Pique Pack", the bottom card is already in the proper position for the automatic element of the trick to work. This enables any three cards to be taken, apart from the bottom card, of course, or the pack to be thoroughly shuffled, as I describe in the write-up. The pack provides a unique presentation angle; I talk about magicians like Pinetti during the Reign of Terror, which justifies the limited set of cards. The 33-card pack also makes it very easy to repeat the effect.

"Prediction Expanded" is also a great trick as well (and you don't have to perform that palm if you prepare ahead of time).

Thanks for reminding me of Harry's version.

Marty