The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Loose fitting gimmick ? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
There are often post's regarding removing a coin that is stuck in a s***l but I haven't seen any post's if you have the opposite problem.

I recently purchased a custom Morgan Nightshade set from Alakazam made by Roy Kueppers however I had asked for the coins to be softened so I sent them back to have them replaced. However the problem with my new custom set is that the s***l is quite loose fitting compared to the other set Roy made, is there anything I can do to remedy this ie perhaps put a coin inside the s***l and try to tap it in all the way around it etc ?
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
I’ve noticed that Kueppers’ commercial items supplied to dealers sometimes leave a little to be desired. Soft coins can vary in size due to their nature. If the shell is too large, it’s because it wasn’t properly fitted to the coins. Trying to reduce the size of the shell won’t work. If you don’t want to send it back, you could search for coins that fit the shell. Of course if the shell is too large, that won’t work either.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
If they're not right*, send them back again.

If you try to modify the set you could possibly ruin it.

*But first verify that the looseness is beyond expected variance/tolerance.

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2024, warren wrote:
There are often post's regarding removing a coin that is stuck in a s***l but I haven't seen any post's if you have the opposite problem.

I recently purchased a custom Morgan Nightshade set from Alakazam made by Roy Kueppers however I had asked for the coins to be softened so I sent them back to have them replaced. However the problem with my new custom set is that the s***l is quite loose fitting compared to the other set Roy made, is there anything I can do to remedy this ie perhaps put a coin inside the s***l and try to tap it in all the way around it etc ?
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2024, inigmntoya wrote:
*But first verify that the looseness is beyond expected variance/tolerance.

How does one verify tolerance is beyond (or within) expected variance?

I'm not issuing a challenge here. It's a genuine question.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
I wouldn't know what tolerance is acceptable, the original set was loose fitting.
However the first custom set I purchased was a great fit but they hadn't softened the coins to my liking.
I spoke to Pete at Alakazam and he was very helpful but the new custom set seems much looser than the first
I have other s×××l sets where if I perform a French drop they stay together and don't sound tinny. With this set if I do a French drop it sounds tinny and obvious that it isn't a single coin.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2024, warren wrote:
I wouldn't know what tolerance is acceptable, the original set was loose fitting.
However the first custom set I purchased was a great fit but they hadn't softened the coins to my liking.
I spoke to Pete at Alakazam and he was very helpful but the new custom set seems much looser than the first
I have other s×××l sets where if I perform a French drop they stay together and don't sound tinny. With this set if I do a French drop it sounds tinny and obvious that it isn't a single coin.

Considering the first set fit better, and you have proof via personal experience with both sets, I'd return the loose fitting set and request a better fitting soft set. You know, Pete at Alakazam knows, and Kueppers knows it's possible.

Magic is the illusion of reality, and a prop that breaks the illusion is worthless.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2024, GJo wrote:
Considering the first set fit better, and you have proof via personal experience with both sets, I'd return the loose fitting set and request a better fitting soft set. You know, Pete at Alakazam knows, and Kueppers knows it's possible.

I’d agree with this. It’s a pain, but it’s also not a small purchase. Will you use it, happily, on the condition it’s in? Will you get your $300+ in value? I’m guessing you’d be happier with a better fitting set and you should feel comfortable asking for that.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Put the shell on a piece of aluminum foil.

Use an xacto knife to cut the foil around the shell, leaving a circular piece of foil.

Fit the foil in the shell, followed by the coin. Spin the coin in the shell until the fit is good, not too snug or loose. Trim foil if needed.

You can moisten the tip of a finger and touch the foil to lift it out so you can apply a small piece of double-sided tape, if you like.

I found this to be a marvelous solution to a shell and coin that are little loose.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
I've reached out to Pete at Alakazam so I'll wait to hear what he say's....i hate being a pain in the backside as I had to send the first set back but I did pay a lot of money for this set and I just don't think the quality matches the price.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4196 Posts

Profile of warren
As an update I have sent the set back to Pete and Roy has said he can tighted the shell so hopefully third time lucky.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2024, warren wrote:
As an update I have sent the set back to Pete and Roy has said he can tighten the shell so hopefully third time lucky.

That’s great news. Will be curious to know the turn around time.

I mailed something to Mark Mason from the US on Feb.16, and it still hasn’t been delivered to him.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2024, warren wrote:
As an update I have sent the set back to Pete and Roy has said he can tighted the shell so hopefully third time lucky.

great news. I'm guessing Pete and Roy didn't give you a hard time about it. I'm glad you're going to end up in a place where you're happy with your purchase; a lesson I've learned this year myself and will be encouraging others to remember.