The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Good source for half-dollar sized pennies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
712 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I have a copper coin that is the same size as an American half dollar and looks like an enlarged penny. I bought it years ago from a magic dealer who is now deceased. The problem is that it is not a very good likeness; Abe looks wrong, it says "Freedom" instead of "Liberty," and so on. It's cute, but.....

Meanwhile, I have two "pennies" that are as large as an Eisenhower silver dollar, and they look great.

Does anyone know where I can get good-looking half-dollar sized pennies?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
That's a tough one...

Silver dollar sized american pennies are easy enough to find, but half dollar? Not so much.

Following this, because I want some as well!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
The E Pluribus Orwell half dollar sized Lincoln Pennies don’t look too bad. But, they haven’t been available for decades. You’d probably have to find someone who would be willing to sell.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
It occurred to me that the E Pluribus Orwell replica is actually a bit larger than a half dollar. So, if that’s important, finding something suitable might be near impossible.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Does it half to be a penny? There are a number of other custom coins - the Copeland Tiger/Tan coins come to mind - which are intentionally designed to be the exact same dimensions as the half dollar.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
143 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Have a look at https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?ct=coin.
You can search for various criteria.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
That's useful for finding real currency with specific dimensions but half and full dollar coins that look like US pennies aren't real currency so they won't be found there.

Quote:
On Mar 16, 2024, MarcelR wrote:
Have a look at https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?ct=coin.
You can search for various criteria.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
712 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I can keep using the one I have, but it looks sort of second-rate.

I was just hoping someone knew of a good source; years ago I went to a lecture by Jim Cellini, and he had a beaut.
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
Dishonest Abe by Gregory Wilson includes a serviceable half dollar size cent.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Good luck finding that, though. I believe it's out of print...