The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Spirit Slates (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Scoreggio
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Scoreggio
I seem to be drifting toward bizarre magic through performing effects my audience likes and I've just bought a set of slates with m******c locking.

I'm not too worried about the slight gap between the g*****k and the surround and I can cover up the clackky noise when operating the g*****k with a bit of business (and it's reasonable that slates clack a bit when they come together) I suspect those in the know are often too aware of the least shortcomings in our apparatus but the audience is usually unlikely to notice anything if they are being entertained.

My question at the moment (and it's a real beginners question) is how best to release the g*****k once it's been used? It really sticks and this far I've found the best option is to tap the surround of the slate against the base of my palm - opposite side from my thumb but I feel it's quite a jolting action and don't want to muck the kit up ...

Any better ideas?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Hi Scoreggio. Your set should have come with a m****t to stick to the surface of the g*****k so it can be released. If it didn't you should be able to find or buy one to make this happen. I have a locking set of slates and a switch box with similar workings, and both came with this item covered in fabric so as not to scratch the surface of the g*****k. Hope this helps!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Scoreggio
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Scoreggio
Thank you so much, Wizard - that's really helpful.
I reckon it's often not the big things that can stump us but the ones that are obvious once you know.
And you're my first reply to a question on the Cafe!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
My pleasure. There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks here who will lend their knowhow and experience, and also a few losers who are just here to add noise and controversy. You'll quickly learn who is who. I've learned a ton here from many generous amateurs and professionals, so if I can give something back, I'm feeling alright.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.