The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: The Mark Wilson's complete course in magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
I just received the book, and it is big.... I am a beginner and so I was wondering how would you (experienced magicians) would approach the book.

a) reading from beginning to end (that seems too much information)
b) starting with the first shuffle and practicing it until I can do it well enough (not perfect of course as it would take a while)and then move
on to the next shuffle
c)choose a section in the book that I like and just work on that one effect?

Or any other ways? Also, are there videos demonstrating these effects are some of them? Thank you.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
498 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
People learn best in different ways. There is probably no one right approach for everyone. My tip would be: perhaps learn what you are really interested in, what you really want to learn, and learn it thoroughly until you are really good at it.
It might also be a good idea to leaf through the book from front to back first to get an overview.
There are now lots of magic tricks on YouTube, both to watch and to learn. It is therefore often helpful to enter a term on YouTube and watch the videos. Some of the videos are very good, but some are also very bad. Mark Wilson's book has quality from front to back.
Good luck. Have fun. Make sure you feel good by going through this book or parts of this book.
igorkovic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of igorkovic
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2024, Daniel Ulzen wrote:
People learn best in different ways. There is probably no one right approach for everyone. My tip would be: perhaps learn what you are really interested in, what you really want to learn, and learn it thoroughly until you are really good at it.
It might also be a good idea to leaf through the book from front to back first to get an overview.
There are now lots of magic tricks on YouTube, both to watch and to learn. It is therefore often helpful to enter a term on YouTube and watch the videos. Some of the videos are very good, but some are also very bad. Mark Wilson's book has quality from front to back.
Good luck. Have fun. Make sure you feel good by going through this book or parts of this book.

Thank you!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
A very popular, fun effect and crowd pleaser is the Sponge Balls. My routine is based off the routine in this book.
It's a great effect to learn and practice. Why not pick something in the book that appeals to you and STUDY it, learn
all aspects before moving around aimlessly.
( basically what igorkovic said above)
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Sounds like you have the hard back version.
This is a great read, and very collectable item.

Personally,I would focus on what interests YOU most. Making reading and practice more enjoyable ... but that's only my humble opinion of course.

Whatever aspect of magic first takes your fancy within the book, you can be sure you will find tutorials on YouTube and within this forum to develop.

Regards
WulfieSmith