The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Latest and Greatest? :: Key Motion by Seth Race (87 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Made of metal but much lighter than a normal key. Just received mine yesterday.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2896 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Hey J, thanks for sharing. With you being an expert in this I wonder how you feel the impact differs from using a voodoo doll. Of course that really depends on the person presenting it and the way they present it, but there is also an inherent difference in using these two different objects I think. Can you comment on that?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Am still playing with the key. Took be a while to find the sweet spot on my hand to do the effect. Jury is still out to be honest.... will want to try it on some people to gauge reactions to be fair.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 5, 2024, J M Talbot wrote:
Am still playing with the key. Took be a while to find the sweet spot on my hand to do the effect. Jury is still out to be honest.... will want to try it on some people to gauge reactions to be fair.

Ok, thanks for answering! That sounds like you are taking this seriously, great to hear. Would you let us know how you feel about this when you performed it a couple of times? I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Oh and one more thing: in Craig Petty's show Matt mentioned the gimmick sorta broke after just one day. He thought that might have been because he pushed too hard because of the thick callus he has on his hands. That didn't sound right to me though, it shouldn't be that fragile IMO. Especially not if you want to use this as an EDC on your key chain. So how do you feel about that? Is it strong enough to hang on your key ring? Is it easily damaged or broken? (EDC dangling on the side of your pants of course, you should not put this in your pocket)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3275 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2024, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Hey J, thanks for sharing. With you being an expert in this I wonder how you feel the impact differs from using a voodoo doll. Of course that really depends on the person presenting it and the way they present it, but there is also an inherent difference in using these two different objects I think. Can you comment on that?

Well, with one you are condemned to the pits of Hades, and the other looks good on social media. Easy choice Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1300 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
When I first saw the post for this on here , I immediately knew the method & I thought excellent.
I also hoped a duplicate hand out key was supplied with it.
If I see something I like , I always go & check it out at my local magic shop & if I like it I buy it .
I have tried using it on two separate occasions now ( yesterday was the most recent while visiting the shop) & even though I have previously used 3 versions of it ie. Voodoo doll , I am having trouble with this one.
Great idea using a key but this version ain’t for me .
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Yeah it does seem more difficult than the doll version too.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1713 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Very light metal (it should be light for obvious reasons but it shouldn’t feel cheap), gimmick visibly glued in, small key size (hard to find a matching duplicate),
key with structure (makes it even harder to find a duplicate - why not using a plain one), no duplicate provided, key is not cut.
I can’t recommend this. It looks and feels not well manufactured.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
Just wanted to hop on here and say this was without a doubt the WORST magic product I have ever purchased. that's all. ????????
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

I’m really sorry to hear that, guys. What a shame. It sounded like a great idea. Thanks a lot for sharing. You helped me and probably others as well in deciding this might not be the best option for an Okito doll effect.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Monstermagic is actually rather enthusiastic ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RntAMw93Xw0
Blake Aleong
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Blake Aleong
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing well! Here's my review:

Enjoy!

Blake
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2024, J M Talbot wrote:
I know some have an aversion to this method but I love it. Have been doing this effect with dolls, pens, pencils, bottles and gingerbread men for years. Once you are comfortable I don't think there is a more practical way to do a cool animation effect under any circumstances. In 35 years of doing this I have never given the object out for full examination (even if I could switch it). For me has never been an issue. I do as Seth has suggested and place the item casually in the spectators hand prior to doing the effect. This sells that it is a "regular" item.... if of course a small doll is a regular item Smile. Anyway I know people love the thought of switching in a regular item, but to me that in many cases screams switch and plants seeds of doubt. Just my 2 cents after having done this many times. I do understand though that providing a second ungaffed key may have been wise to allay fears even though I would not use it personally.

I don't have this yet but look forward to adding one to my collection of options and am liking the visual of the extra animation. The key for me (no pun intended) will be the size of the gimmick. Some have made them too large on past items which for me makes it a bit more difficult to do smoothly. As others have said there is zero pain with this method when done correctly.

My hand hurts just looking at this picture. I have soft "magician" hands.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7049 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Well, it's on my key chain.
I performed this for my pre teen girls and they told me it is their favourite trick I have ever done.
Hmmmm... That's a good start.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7049 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Just went to the hardware store and got a near exact dupe for 6 bucks
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Quote:
On May 9, 2024, magicfish wrote:
Well, it's on my key chain.
I performed this for my pre teen girls and they told me it is their favourite trick I have ever done.
Hmmmm... That's a good start.

How, practically, do you keep it on your key chain? I want to add it to mine but feel I’ll need to have a lump of blue tack or similar with me…
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Magicorthodoxy did a review. (Not a very good one, he clearly didn't practise or perform the trick very often if even at all). But in the comments I read that someone who was really enthusiastic is now having second thoughts, as the gimmick broke after only a few weeks. Not in his pocket, mind you, but while dangling off his belt loop... That just screams bad quality. Because that is the safest place you can carry this. If it breaks there, it will break everywhere. What a shame. It still seems like a great idea.