The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Crazy Mans Corks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Here’s my question (the lead is detailed below):

Have any of you seen an effect that looks like Crazy Mans Handcuffs but is performed with corks?

This is another one I have been doing since my youth, even before I got into magic. The effect was originally a "do as I do" bar bet with corks. The corks are held in the crook of the thumb and first finger. The corks were then grasped by the ends by opposing hands and pulled apart.

And, of course, only I could do it. Everyone else would just knock the corks together.

The funniest thing about the gag was that you could even perform it as slowly as you could, detailing where you put your fingers and thumbs and people STILL couldn’t do it. It drives ’em crazy.

So I had been messing around with the gag after performing Mark Jennest’s Jiggernaut (the end production of two corks). And I noticed that because people had been watching magic this effect looked like a solid through solid.

It’s really a powerful effect when presented this way and IMO surpasses CMH. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t in Ammar’s Cork Magic Volume 12 or some other tome before I started running up to magi going,"Hey, look at this."

"Yea, that’s great. What’s next? Your double lift invention? Beat it kid."

"Alright. Then how about this: How to stop an attacker armed with... a banana!"

Smile Smile Smile Smile

(Sorry, I’ve been dying to say that ever since I saw that banana Smile)
Yakworld.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
yep, I perform that all the time, but I use rolled up dollar bills instead of corks. Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
The corks have been around for years, yak, but I don’t recall anyone fitting them into a magic theme.

You’re right; it’s more impressive than CMH; the first time I saw someone do this, it just about drove me nuts trying to figure it out! Smile

BTW, Magicman, I really like the idea of doing it with rolled up dollar bills.

cheers,

Peter Marucci
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Cool. Thanks guys.

And that IS a great idea Magicman. I suppose you could do it with just about anything the right size. I tried it with silver dollars and it works but for some reason it just doesn't look as pretty. I also tried it with my little brothers but everyone just thought they were gimmiked.

Alright. Then how about this: How to stop an attacker armed with...a banana!!

Smile

First, you eat the banana, thus, disarming him. Smile Smile Smile (Any Monte Python fans in the house?)
Yakworld.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I've seen it done with cigarettes, it look's pretty darn cool. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Thanks Guys, I first saw the cork betcha performed by Mark Wilson on his video course many years ago, but found corks a little hard to come by, so I used rolled up dollar bills, which fit nicely because I can go right into the rolled up dollar thru quarter effect. Smile

I too have done it with cigarettes Steve, but I always squeeze to hard and bend them. Which for some reason does not make the spectator to happy! Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I think the trick you are referring to I saw here

http://magic.about.com/library/tricks/bltrick77a.htm

I do like the idea of doing after producing the corks another way.

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
magicrobin
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of magicrobin
Thanks to Ray Banks for the link. I've never known how to do this properly before.

Robin
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I have actually used AA sizes batteries on several occasions.

More for the electronic age.

:bunny: Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Check out Dec's 2001 Linking Ring, "One Man Parade," it features a rotuine on this.
Bernard Sim
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I have done it with, bills, corks, golf tee’s, crayons, pen caps & pretzels.

It’s a nice quicky that I will usually teach someone when asked to teach them a trick. Smile

Smile
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
Thats why I like this board so much. I had forgotten all about this, let alone remembering how to do it!

Thanks

Joe Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It never rains but . . .

Since my previous post, where I said I hadn’t seen this in a magic setting although the corks have been around for years, the December issue of the Linking Ring magazine arrived.

And, sure enough, Mike Makman (Professor Putter) has a One-Man Parade which leads off with a magic presentation for the corks.

He also suggests doing it with rolled-up bills.

cheers,

Peter Marucci
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Okay, okay. Nobody's mentioned using these (including you restaurant table-hoppers out there) and they're the obvious cork substitute:

Do it with the sealed coffee creamers in the little bowls on restaurant tables!

I've been having a LOT of fun for the past couple of months with kids and adults using these!
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Thomas Hudecsek
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Thomas Hudecsek
In one of Tom Mullica's Impromptu Videos he is doing it with lego stones. Smile