The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: PAOW Solar system memory palace speed memorization of freshly shuffled deck POSITIONS (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
PAOW Solar system memory palace speed memorization of freshly shuffled deck POSITIONS.

Apologies if someone has already done this (PAOW coupled with 13 planet solar system). I dreamed this up yesterday.

This is a minor tweak to the PAO system.
This is not easy but it is doable.

To Memorize a shuffled deck fairly quickly AND BE ABLE TO QUICKLY CALCULATE the POSITION NUMBERS of the cards. This means doing something more than PAO.

This method should NOT be used to memorize popular stacks. This method is only to temporarily memorize a freshly shuffled deck in front of the audience and will take longer than speed memorization techniques because this method is also knowing the POSITION of the cards.

Solar system memory palace to be used in conjunction with PAOW system 4 card groups (note that I have added a "W" to PAO to mean "Where" or how).

Below are my constant 52 unique alias card names, action, object, where minor location (to be used each performance in my solar system palace - you can use different PAOW names but lock them in permanently to your brain):

Note that each action, object, minor location is unique to that "person name"/playing card.

You will mentally quickly construct a mnemonic story for each four card group and mentally store it on the Sun or next available "planet". Example: if you have the word "Tom Brady" or "throwing" or "football" or "Tampa" in your story you know the card is the seven of diamonds because it's the only card that uses those words. All the cards have unique words.

This may take a month or so for you to instantly remember the PAOW words for any card.

The first card of the four card group: you use it's person name.
The second card of the four card group: you use it's action word.
The third card of the four card group: you use its object word.
The 4th card of the four card group: you use it's where name (geographic location or "How" name).

Example: The Red Baron chopping a basketball over the Pacific Ocean is AS , KS, 10D, 2H. If it was the first group of four cards then "Red Baron chopping a basketball over the Pacific Ocean" would be mentally stored on the Sun.

My complete 52 card PAOW words:

4C Shiva, waving, ornaments, in New Delhi
10D Sam Jones Celtic, shooting, basketball, on parquet floor
KC Jack Webb, racing, police car, in San Francisco
7D Tom Brady, throwing, football, in Tampa
9S Catwoman, scratching, penguin, in Gotham
AS Red Baron, firing, machine gun, in Germany
QH Dolly Parton, yodeling, Rocky top, in Knoxville
2H Amelia Earhart, flying, airplane, over Pacific Ocean
8S Frosty Snowman, shoveling, snow, in Maine
6C Rusty Staub, swinging, bat, in Houston
JS JFK, kissing, Jackie, in Washington DC
5S Gary Cooper, firing, revolver, in western town
KS Henry the 8th, chopping, wife, at London Tower
JD Jack Tut, melting, Gold, in pyramid
6H Miley Cyrus, riding, wrecking Ball, nude
5H Spice Girls, prancing, high heels, in hotel
5C Cy Young, pitched, baseball, curvedly
JH John Travolta, danced, Saturday night, in Brooklyn
6S Lizzie Borden, axed, parents, in Fall River Massachusetts
QC Joyce Brothers, punched, bag, with gloves
3S Supremes, reflecting, gowns, in Detroit
8D Terminator, ate, diamonds, in future
9C Babe Ruth, stomped, home plate, Yankee stadium
AD Randy Johnson, nailed, bird, from mound
7H Dance Moms, twist, knees, in Pittsburgh
10S Farmer, digs, holes, in Nebraska
9D Scottish crown, bagpipes, Rolls-Royce, in Edinburgh
2C Fred Flintstone, hammers, Dino, in Bedrock
4H Alien Stockbroker, trades, stocks, on Wall Street
KH Elvis, gyrates, hips, on Ed Sullivan Show
6D Coach Bill Belichick, wins, super bowls, near Boston
JC Jack Sparrow, captures, ships, on high seas
7C Frank Sinatra, crooned, witchcraft, at Caesars Palace
QD Queen Victoria, expanded, empire, worldwide
4D Elizabeth Taylor, married, husbands, in Hollywood
8H Marilyn Monroe, blew, dress, at Coney Island
5D Magic Johnson, shattered, backboard, at LA
2D Gen G Patton, slaps, soldier, in Sicily
10C Jack Benny, lifts, eyebrows, on TV
8C Goliath, taunts, Israelites, at Elah Valley
4S Pearl Bailey, wants, Bill Bailey, at Apollo theater
3D Troy Aikman, throws, to Michael Irvin, at Dallas
AH Cupid, arches, arrows, at lovers
7S Samurai, defends, villagers, in Japan
KD Winston Churchill, smokes, cigars, in war room
3H Andrew's sisters, blow, bugle, Company B
AC Jackie Robinson, steals, second base, at Dodger stadium
2S Leprechaun, ties, yellow ribbon, on oak tree
10H Tin Man, oils, his jaw, on yellow brick road
QS Latifah, raps, hip hop, in Jersey City
3C Igor, electrifies, Frankenstein, in Geneva Switzerland
9H Col. Klink, locks up, Hogan, at Hamelberg

The above list happens to be in my Dual 1B Stack order but that is not relevant. Just memorize each card and it's four attributes (Name, Action, Object, Where).

You might ask why I didn't have Tom Brady "near Boston". Well, I wanted to use Bill Belichick for Boston therefore I made Tom Brady be in Tampa Bay. You might ask why not just eliminate one of them and come up with an entirely different person for one of those two cards. The reason: I wanted to use the seven of diamonds for Tom Brady and use the six of diamonds for Bill Belichick because it makes sense.

Note there are two airplane pilots but they have no conflicting words because Amelia Earhart is "flying" an "airplane" over the "Pacific" whereas the Red Baron is "firing" a "machine gun" in "Germany". Therefore if you recall the words "flying" or "airplane" then you definitely know it was Amelia Earhart which is the two of hearts (and not the Red Baron Ace of Spades).

Also note that Henry the Eight is "chopping" whereas Lizzie Borden is "axing".

---------------
Solar system palace and PAOW method. Note that the trade-off using PAOW versus just PAO is that PAOW only requires 13 planets (things) whereas PAO requires 17 planets (but PAO only requires three words per planet but the math is a little worse therefore I think PAOW is easier for the POSITION calculation than just PAO).

Calculate POSITIONS of a SHUFFLED deck:
Disposable Memory Palace for the cards: Solar System: planet values are permanently memorized:

Note that during the show each four card group mnemonic story is mentally stored on the next heavenly body (before the show the value after the equal sign is permanently memorized for each heavenly body and used later when calculating a cards position).

Sun = 0
Mercury= 4
Venus = 8
Earth = 12
Moon = 16
Mars = 20
Astroid Belt = 24
Jupiter= 28
Saturn = 32
Uranus = 36
Neptune = 40
Pluto = 44
Haley's Comet = 48

Have the above ingrained in your brain using whatever method you want.

PAOW method (Person, Action, Object, Where using 4 card groups all the way through the deck). Unique PAOW for each card.

The first 4 cards are mentally stored on the Sun.
The second 4 cards are mentally stored on Mercury.
The third 4 cards are mentally stored on Venus.
And so on until cards 49 thru 52 are stored on Haley's Comet. Note that these planets are major locations whereas the W locations are minor and fixed for each card.

Note that each card of the four has values:
First card=1
Second card=2
Third card=3
Fourth card=4
The above values apply to each group of four cards regardless of which planet they are on.

Card to position calculation:
To know the position of any card just add it's one through four value to it's PLANET value.

Position to card calculation:
A little difficult therefore don't do it.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
About the cards and mnemonic stories that are on the planets: After your show do NOT refresh the cards in your memory because you do not want that to go to your long-term memory because you will be doing a fresh set of 52 cards on your next performance.

However you do want to practice and refresh your PAOW list of words.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
853 Posts

Profile of glowball
I used the solar system (13 heavenly body objects) as a memory palace to memorize the Tamariz Mnemonica stack in conjunction with PAOW but I found the PAOW portion to be unnecessary, so I just reduced it to PA (Person, Action i.e Dominic O'Brien technique) but still mentally stored 4 cards on each planet/object.

Example: on Venus there is JULIE NEWMAR (Catwoman), TYING A YELLOW RIBBON, around DOLLY PARTON, who is GOLFING.

If a spectator named the three of diamonds then I would mentally know that it was the 4th card on Venus therefore I would add 4 to the Venus offset of 8 and the thus know the three of diamonds is in the 12th position.

IMO this technique is not as good (at performance time) as flat out memorizing card name and position number together (I use Aronson or Hamilton as my main deck) but this solar system mnemonica technique was fun to do and I can borrow a fellow magician's Mnemonica deck to do some acaan tricks.

By using the solar system as a separate memory palace the Mnemonica Stack does not mess up my brain in regards to my other two memorized stacks.