The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: What Is The Name Of This Fire Gimmick Hat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Qut3n
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Qut3n
Hello Magician

I watched a video https://files.fm/f/mmstqb6w9n of a man wearing a hat which was on fire. And the fire burnt for a long period of time on his head without hurting him

I would like to know the name of the fire gimmick hat or how to reproduce this same fire gimmick hat effect myself from my home?

Waiting for your answers and thank you so much in advance
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
This is not a “stock” effect. People have created custom effects like this before. Most notably Ray Wald in “O” does a routine where he slowly becomes engulfed in flames while sitting in a chair, before slowly walking off stage. It involves a very porous material able to contain a good amount of flammable product and an insulating barrier between the flame and his body. In the video, the most important factor is that the flame (and heat) is traveling up away from the performer. This is an expert level effect and not for the beginner in fire work.
Ray Pierce
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
"This is an expert level effect and not for the beginner in fire work." Indeed. That is a crazy fire hat. It is not only dangerous for the performer but for those around. Definitely would never try to do something like that as a single person act. There is almost no mobility in using that.

More moderate flame level fire hats are available at juggler supply houses. They use Kevlar rope for wick and chemical retardants and water applied just before the performance to the rest of the hat. Lamp oil is commonly used for a more controlled burn. All the materials need to be properly matched. Not a DIY unless you have the requisite knowledge of all these things.

Speaking about expert level:

Qut3n
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Qut3n
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2024, FrankFindley wrote:
"This is an expert level effect and not for the beginner in fire work." Indeed. That is a crazy fire hat. It is not only dangerous for the performer but for those around. Definitely would never try to do something like that as a single person act. There is almost no mobility in using that.

More moderate flame level fire hats are available at juggler supply houses. They use Kevlar rope for wick and chemical retardants and water applied just before the performance to the rest of the hat. Lamp oil is commonly used for a more controlled burn. All the materials need to be properly matched. Not a DIY unless you have the requisite knowledge of all these things.

Speaking about expert level:

The fire effect in this YouTube video is exactly what I am looking for because the fire burns for a long time before going off. My question is "how do I get a refill after my first usage of the fire Hat because I will be using it on several of my magic shows?"
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2024, Qut3n wrote:
The fire effect in this YouTube video is exactly what I am looking for because the fire burns for a long time before going off. My question is "how do I get a refill after my first usage of the fire Hat because I will be using it on several of my magic shows?"

See here for instructions on how to prep a fire hat like this: https://www.renegadejuggling.com/fire-top-hat Key thing is that such fire hats need to be sprayed with water about 5 minutes before the performance. Failure to do so can be catastrophic.