The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: A real mentalism idea (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bitnox
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of bitnox
Hello, I'm not a good liar, I know that in mentalism there are a number of real things that don't always work, so sometimes there is also a backup plan with lies, does it sound like a show without lies will go well? Planting thoughts, by failing to change a note or something like that but declaring that there was a failure and there would be something simple like changing a door, suggestion, by failing to use a pseudo but declaring that it failed and it's only a pseudo, reading muscles, by failing to use some trick and declare it, memory exercises, mental calculations, etc. . I know that the audience somehow knows when the mentalist is lying, so I think that a show without lies can be something suspicious, when the seventies passed they stopped believing Uri Geller, I'm guessing that a day will come and they won't believe Nimrod Harel, that's why I'm thinking about the possibility of a show without lies. I would love to know what you think
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The late Jerry Andrus, a highly ethical person, was philosophically opposed to lying.

He never told an untruth during his often astonishing magical (he was a magician, not a mentalist) performances.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
A maxim of sales training is, "you never have to lie since you can create your own truths."

Magicians are the moist truthful of performers. They say they will entertain with trickery, guile and artifice.
Then they do exactly what they promise.

Mentalists? Perhaps so much. Some, seem to want the observers to believe they have some paranormal ability. So, the start with a lie and never recover.
Others simply demonstrate unusual phenomena and allow each observer to draw their own conclusions - no lie necessary.
A few focus on abilities that everyone has that can be enhanced in some manner. Again, embellished truth perhaps, but not a lie.

However, I disagree with the notion that a performer needs a "back up plan" that requires a lie. Why?

Not sure about "real thing" not working either. Complete success of any paranormal demonstration "every time, on demand" would be suspect for any observer.

The problem may not be with performers, but that most everyone lies in everyday life, and therefor assumes others do also.
Each member of your audience is probably better at deception and falsehood than you.

Imagine when people go to a mystery performance to get some truth for a change.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4712 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Actors (and, to some extent, other entertainers) always lie. Once they are on stage (however defined in the particular context), they are permitted to say anything, and, with the audience's willingness to suspend disbelief, can create an air of authenticity. A magician or mentalist is an actor/entertainer bound by the same rules. When the performer exits the stage and continues the lies, they will get into trouble for unethical behavior.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1759 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I'm scripting a portion of my upcoming show at a metaphysical festival to be able to overtly tell them the method and what's going on, but for them not to notice. It's mostly just for my own amusement.

"Some people ask how I learned to do this. It's hard to explain, but basically what I'm doing is I'm trying to feel the energy from the item, it's magnetic field or aura or whatever you'd like to call it. Sometimes I feel it one way, some times another, but I can always tell when I feel the vibration of the energy that I've located the correct stone".

hehe
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
As a side-bar, my Dad was very adept at finding underground metal objects with two, bent coat hangers.
He was a land surveyor and located buried pins, pipes and even a door to an old mine cover with iron hinges. No performance, just work.
He was once asked, "Ever try and find a true scientific cause for this ability?"
He replied, "If I knew how I do it, I probably could not do it any more."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2044 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Sometimes I DO observe body language cues, sometimes I DO use secrets gathered from mediums, self-proclaimed psychics, etc. SOMETIMES I just LIE. Whatever makes the show look better. The audience knows I might lie during a performance. They know what to expect, and can't say I was dishonest. Terry Holley used to do psychic shows in churches. He opened saying, "I'm not psychic, but for the next hour I'm going to convince you that I am." He felt good about that.

'To thine own self be true'. Make sure you feel good about how you're presenting yourself. I'm okay telling the audience I'm going to lie (I don't always, but with church crowds I do). Good acting and believable processes will convince people they're experiencing something real even after your up front and easily-forgotten reminder. I heard Ted Karmilovich say, "after my shows, some guys walk up and say, 'I don't know if I believe what you did was real, but I had a fantastic time.' I'm as happy as can be when they say that." When Ted was young, he wanted to be believed like Uri Geller was believed. It seems his focus changed as he went along his journey.

My friend Van saw David Hoy perform once. He walked out and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I am a psychic... and a fake!" He gained laughs and instant rapport, followed by an amazing show.

Be amazing.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
amazingadan
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of amazingadan
This question kind of goes to the core of mentalism, as Bob Cassidy wrote, the first generation of mentalists were all liars and cheats trying to get the upper hand on one another.

If you really want to avoid lying, you'll have to think carefully about scripting and presentation. And if you want to rely on genuine psychological methods, you'll need to think hard in order to make it reliable. A psychological f**ce on a full audience could be considered "real," but the more criteria that you apply (for instance, honesty), the more boxed-in you get.

Think about being an "honest liar." If you say "I'm going to show you something that's very difficult to explain, and over the years, has absolutely convinced thousands and thousands of people in the existence of genuine psychic phenomena" then you are not lying at all.

Here's a brilliant little performance from Ian Rowland which I watched the other day, centered on the theme of "illusions." It's a lot of on-stage entertainment which is quite honest, and it suits the venue well. Maybe some food for thought: https://vimeo.com/106291491
amazingadan
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of amazingadan
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2024, funsway wrote:
As a side-bar, my Dad was very adept at finding underground metal objects with two, bent coat hangers.
He was a land surveyor and located buried pins, pipes and even a door to an old mine cover with iron hinges. No performance, just work.
He was once asked, "Ever try and find a true scientific cause for this ability?"
He replied, "If I knew how I do it, I probably could not do it any more."

Ken, this is an amazing little anecdote. Sounds like your dad had the real dowsing touch of a working man, and he had a great answer to that question. Thanks for sharing!
AlxRosekoski
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of AlxRosekoski
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2024, bitnox wrote:
Hello, I'm not a good liar, I know that in mentalism there are a number of real things that don't always work, so sometimes there is also a backup plan with lies, does it sound like a show without lies will go well? Planting thoughts, by failing to change a note or something like that but declaring that there was a failure and there would be something simple like changing a door, suggestion, by failing to use a pseudo but declaring that it failed and it's only a pseudo, reading muscles, by failing to use some trick and declare it, memory exercises, mental calculations, etc. . I know that the audience somehow knows when the mentalist is lying, so I think that a show without lies can be something suspicious, when the seventies passed they stopped believing Uri Geller, I'm guessing that a day will come and they won't believe Nimrod Harel, that's why I'm thinking about the possibility of a show without lies. I would love to know what you think

It depends on your act. If you are trying to sell that you have legitimate mental powers, than you would have to lie. Aside from that, though, you shouldn’t lie, just be yourself.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13001 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2024, AlxRosekoski wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2024, bitnox wrote:

It depends on your act. If you are trying to sell that you have legitimate mental powers, than you would have to lie. Aside from that, though, you shouldn’t lie, just be yourself.

I do have legitimate mental powers. Did I lie?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Who wants to see a fake Psychic? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2024, Slim King wrote:

same folks who like fake politicians, fake preachers, fake marketers and fake educators - most people today.

Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2024, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2024, Slim King wrote:

same folks who like fake politicians, fake preachers, fake marketers and fake educators - most people today.

I agree with you but maybe not in the way you think.... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....