The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Alchemist coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
I have an old set of coins, about 20+ years old. They are Kennedy halfs/English Pennies that change from copper to silver with a copper Kennedy and a silver EP. The final is a gold Kennedy half.

Does anyone know what the name and creator of this is? And is it possible to get replacement coins?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Alchemist's Fantasy. Great effect. A set is occasionally available, but I have never seen individual coins. https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=447930
I have a routine for this that adds a special feature and meaningful storyline.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Really I think this should go in Trick Coin Trickery, since it's not pure sleight of hand.

Typically I'd be an advocate of supporting the creator, but I don't think they make this set anymore, and it sounds like you have one already. While they don't "technically" sell replacement coins, there's nothing in the set that's particularly hard to make or find.
Alchemist Phantasy was one of the (first?) versions of it, though I think it was also sold in a few different forms.

- Most gaff producers have various C/S coins you could buy.
- You can find (various) colored Half Dollars - I know Penguin has purple and green ones. The red isn't too close to copper, but could be an option if you switch up the routining a little. I believe they have a yellow/gold colored one.
- I recall a website (but can't find it again quickly) that had a copper half and a silver penny for sale at one point. I'd also check out the big auction site, where you find one. Perhaps more expensive, but I found a copper and gold half easily, and you could probably find a silver penny with a bit of patience.

- With a little bit of science (look into electroplating) you could make your own silver (or aluminium) coated English Penny. The chemical reaction to coat in a copper color is a bit harder, but I'm sure there's a way to do it at home.

I hope that helps!
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2024, funsway wrote:
Alchemist's Fantasy. Great effect. A set is occasionally available, but I have never seen individual coins. https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=447930
I have a routine for this that adds a special feature and meaningful storyline.

Thank you, this is it.
aoakden
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of aoakden
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2024, tonsofquestions wrote:
Really I think this should go in Trick Coin Trickery, since it's not pure sleight of hand.

Typically I'd be an advocate of supporting the creator, but I don't think they make this set anymore, and it sounds like you have one already. While they don't "technically" sell replacement coins, there's nothing in the set that's particularly hard to make or find.
Alchemist Phantasy was one of the (first?) versions of it, though I think it was also sold in a few different forms.

- Most gaff producers have various C/S coins you could buy.
- You can find (various) colored Half Dollars - I know Penguin has purple and green ones. The red isn't too close to copper, but could be an option if you switch up the routining a little. I believe they have a yellow/gold colored one.
- I recall a website (but can't find it again quickly) that had a copper half and a silver penny for sale at one point. I'd also check out the big auction site, where you find one. Perhaps more expensive, but I found a copper and gold half easily, and you could probably find a silver penny with a bit of patience.

- With a little bit of science (look into electroplating) you could make your own silver (or aluminium) coated English Penny. The chemical reaction to coat in a copper color is a bit harder, but I'm sure there's a way to do it at home.

I hope that helps!

Wow, thank you for all of the great information I really appreciate it.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2024, tonsofquestions wrote:

No, not pure SOH, but it's not self-working either. There's only the one c/s that's not a normal coin.